What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue background

ukoldlady

Hi there

Can anyone advise me the best way to get rid of a blue background - I took some product images (with a white background) but quite late in the day so the images now have too much blue in the background. Ive tried to even the colours out with levels but the whole image looks either too dark or too over exposed. The products themselves are reasonably true to life its just the background really. Simple answer is to cut it out and replace it I suppose but the products have fiddly edges so this will take for ever..am doing it all with a mouse. Magic wand makes my programme crash so any ideas would be gratefully received..:neutral:

thanks in advance

Inkz

Guru
Is there any way to get s screen shot to us?

I mean, if you can't even use the magic wand without the program crashing, maybe it's pc related.

Inkz

Guru
Even if you cut it out...

The blue overlay cast onto the plates aswell. Which would mean placing on a whiter background would look unnatural.

ukoldlady

DSC_0418.JPG

Ive fiddled about with the levels again and its not come out too bad...brightened it a little with a curves layer but cant do it too much otherwise it looks posteurized. I will just have to make do with this and try and take photos earlier in the day!!

Thanks for your help, off to bed now!

Inkz

Guru
I tweaked the image in colour mixer, bright/contrast and curves....

Brightened it up a tad.

You may want to adjust it further, but it's a start.

sweet_zps0aea5bed.png adjusts_zpsa615a229.png

RTContent

Power User
The issue is the white balance. Was this an image that you've taken? If so do you have a RAW image file available? Working just from the jpeg will cause the image to loose detail.

whitebalance.jpg

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Try this one. Opened in Camera Raw. Adjusted the white balance and bumped up the exposure.
DSC_0418-2.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
And here's my hat in the ring, as well...

However, here's my $0.02 on this image (as was originally posted): In addition to the overall blue cast, there are other very serious problems with this image such as a blown blue channel in the brightest areas of the white icing, inadequate depth of field, colored reflections (especially between the pieces), over saturated, etc.

It is ALWAYS vastly better to fix these when you are taking the photograph rather than after-the-fact in PS. Not only is it less total work, the result will always look better.

T

Attachments

• DSC_0418-01_acr-ps02a-01b_xnv_crop.jpg
    DSC_0418-01_acr-ps02a-01b_xnv_crop.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3

rufinatti

Power User
When I look at the image I did last night, I'm not entirely satisfied with the shadow; so I redid it this morning. I do feel that it looks better in this version.

cupcakes2.png

rufinatti

Power User
And here's my hat in the ring, as well...

However, here's my $0.02 on this image (as was originally posted): In addition to the overall blue cast, there are other very serious problems with this image such as a blown blue channel in the brightest areas of the white icing, inadequate depth of field, colored reflections (especially between the pieces), over saturated, etc.

It is ALWAYS vastly better to fix these when you are taking the photograph rather than after-the-fact in PS. Not only is it less total work, the result will always look better.

T

Nice work, as usual, Tom. I'm always interested in hearing your take on things as you have a good way of explaining what you've done. So, for educational purposes, would you mind describing to me how you went about color-correcting your version?

I'm still trying to pick up pointers when I can.

Thanks,

rufinatti