What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bucket Filling the entire image vs separate parts. How to Reset this - ? FML

MadNuances

Hey All, I am new to PS, love it - I use it for everything now lol. I am trying to do some jersey designs and up until a few days ago I was able to use the bucket tool to change the various sections. I probably clicked on something and now the bucket fills up the entire jersey making it pretty much impossible to ad various colors etc. I could have sworn that all 3 attached images were allowing me to edit the various parts without affecting the rest of the image- i.e. jersey arms, shoulders, chest, neck, neck lining, etc etc - were all separate elements.

I am attaching the files I am using. If anyone can help out you would be really helping me out - I spent half the day and no luck.

On the same note - How would I search for a tutorial on creating various sections within an image i.e. I have a JPG of a jersey and I want to play around with it, so what is the action called to be able to cut it up into different sections? Am I making Sense? If I want to make he red jersey's shoulders, arms, and neck lining as separate elements which I could manipulate without affecting the rest; what would that be called so I could look into a tutorial. Thanks.

Reebok Edge - Uncrested - Blank - Pro Cut.jpg62_58_more_3.jpgR2_Hockey.gif

Learning the Pan tool and Mask creation will help you do these.

As a quick remedy, you can try using the Replace Color option (MENU>IMAGE>ADJUSTMENTS>REPLACE COLOR). Select sections of the shirt you want to replace color, move the fuzziness control to maximum and play with the color settings.

Change Color.gif

As for the template, you have to use the Pentool to create masks of the jerseys component parts. Look at it as the old school airbrushing technique. These masks can be used to change color of sections as you wish. The Pen tool use and mask creation are covered in the links IamSam has posted.

Guys, Thanks for replying I will play with the pen tools today. But I am still left wondering what did happen to my PS settings that stopped allowing or rather disabled the images from having these "masks" / "sections" as I am rather confident that by default I was able to do this very function up until a few days ago?!?! Global Warming?

I agree with what you guys are saying up to a point. I agree that the pen tool is a highly precise method of selection. It is also pretty slow and tedious, especially if your new to using it. PS's other selection tools are actually very good. The Polygonal lasso tool is a great tool, as is the infamous Magic Wand. Many folks swear by the Quick Selection tool. Suggest you experiment with all of them . Also be aware of the Freeform Pen tool that has a magnetic switch which aids in making selections with it.
Also,don't forget the Quick Mask tool that allows you to paint on a mask, very good in some circumstances.

I agree with what you guys are saying up to a point. I agree that the pen tool is a highly precise method of selection. It is also pretty slow and tedious, especially if your new to using it. PS's other selection tools are actually very good. The Polygonal lasso tool is a great tool, as is the infamous Magic Wand. Many folks swear by the Quick Selection tool. Suggest you experiment with all of them . Also be aware of the Freeform Pen tool that has a magnetic switch which aids in making selections with it.
Also,don't forget the Quick Mask tool that allows you to paint on a mask, very good in some circumstances.

Can anyone download this or any image of a Hockey Jersey Template and tell me if by default their bucket fills the entire image or sections. I just feel like I am going insane.I remember using these files and having them broken up. I think I clicked something which de activated it. I will post a follow up.

I checked it out earlier...

Just a hunch... were you doing the fill on a new layer or directly on the template layer? If on a new layer, make sure that Contigous and All Layers are selected in the Menu Tool options. Don't forget to convert the index image to RGB so you can add layers....

Mad-N said:
Can anyone download this or any image of a Hockey Jersey Template and tell me if by default their bucket fills the entire image or sections.

I downloaded the image an tried to fill the jersey with a new color using the Bucket Tool.

This is what happened.....
Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 3.58.49 PM.png

This is using a better method similar to what dv8 described......
Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 3.59.02 PM.png

Which one looks more like a real Jersey?

What I'm saying is that you should learn a better and more efficient way of changing the colors than the Bucket Tool.

Like Larry stated, there are many selection methods you can use. Once you have a selection, then all you have to do is fill that selection with a new color and your done.

This was all done in under 45 seconds....
Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 4.09.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 4.09.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 4.09.59 PM.png

Back