What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone help me please?

very newbie

Can anybody give a complete beginner a steer on how to create the effects used on attached image from a photograph? I have no idea where or how to begin with this.
Many thanks

Dog.jpg

You have to learn to walk before you can run. That's really not a project for a complete beginner.

There is a lot going on in your sample photo. Hard to say exactly what was done. As a beginner, one place to start is to use some of the filters that come with Photoshop. For example, I created this Before/After image in about 5 seconds by applying the Watercolor filter and then adjusting the settings. It's not nearly as nuanced as your sample, but it's a step in the right direction. You should experiment with all the different Artistic, Sketch, etc. filters to see what they do. Also, you'll need to understand the concept of having different layers and the use of layer masking. You can then apply several different effects to an image, all on different layers, and then selectively mask them to achieve interesting results.

Dog.jpg

Hello and welcome to PSG.

I'm fairly certain that your example is a watercolor painting or a colored pencil drawing augmented with watercolor washes. I'm not saying it can't be created in Ps, but it would be a moderate challenge for even the most experienced users.

Back