What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone remove the noise from these photographs of my grandmother and her brother?

Re: Can anyone remove the noise from these photographs of my grandmother and her brot

Had to have a go at one of these, it's a work in progress and not sure if the OP will be back again

restore2.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Can anyone remove the noise from these photographs of my grandmother and her brot

I am still here and checking back often! it's looking great, thank you so much!

Until somebody does it better.
YuXNOVC.jpg

This one is very low resolution quality, pixels can be seen even in face.

jsCC47z.jpg

I am still here and checking back often! it's looking great, thank you so much!

Hi

I don't think there's much more I can do with the photo without spending a lot of time and hard work on it, just don't have the time at the moment

Sorry

Ged

I have to support gedstar. These pictures have two problems, easy to fix ( or at least improve ) wrong exposure and mechanical scratches on the film. I do not think there is any automatic or fast fix for these scratches. You have either to repaint the lines manually or find some methods in Photoshop. If this was my grandmother and it would be worth to spend hours of work ( sorry, no disrespect, but I am very busy to do this as much as I feel with you ), I would pick line by line and then use Edit->Fill->Content Aware. If you have access to Photoshop CS6 or higher ( I hope somebody will correct me if it was sooner ), you can try it. We will all be glad to help you with any advice, but doing much more than what is here is extremely time consuming.

Since the scratches are quite thin, one possible way to speed up the selection process before using the content aware fill is to note that in any given image, the lines are all parallel to a very high degree of precision, but are not necessarily exactly aligned with the boundaries of the image. I would first rotate the entire image to make the lines perfectly aligned with PS's pixels so that one could repeatedly use PS's "select column of pixels" command, adding, if necessary to adjacent selected columns of pixels.

When done, one would, of course rotate the image back to the original orientation.

Just a thought...

Tom M

Since the scratches are quite thin, one possible way to speed up the selection process before using the content aware fill is to note that in any given image, the lines are all parallel to a very high degree of precision, but are not necessarily exactly aligned with the boundaries of the image. I would first rotate the entire image to make the lines perfectly aligned with PS's pixels so that one could repeatedly use PS's "select column of pixels" command, adding, if necessary to adjacent selected columns of pixels.

When done, one would, of course rotate the image back to the original orientation.

Just a thought...

Tom M

Thank you, Tom. I was thinking about drawing some lines and converting them to selection, but your idea is definitely better. Anyhow I would increase resolution of the whole picture so it does not loose information during rotation.

Back