What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you fix this image? Raw image supplied.

Steve

Retired Administrator
Another raw image.
Right out of the camera it looks like this.

_MG_5661.jpg

What can YOU do with the RAW file?
Post your results.

Attachments

• _MG_5661.dng
    16.3 MB · Views: 8

iDad

Guru
Piece of cake, (well sorta lol) I don't feel like knocking out noise been a long day, or getting too detailed with selection Nice capture ...

View attachment 31787

iDad

Guru
Hey now, wait a minute. What is the prize?

iDad

Guru
So, what you're saying is,:shocked:..... shhhhh!

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Here's my shot at it:

a) straighten;

b) attempt (not very succesful) to correct perspective distortion;

c) make three different RAW conversions, one each for the dark, mid and bright tones.

d) blend them manually using masks.

T

PS - Pls don't look too hard at the transition zone around the door where it abruptly goes from very dark to very bright. I got tired & bored and just kinda ignored that region. If I feel like it, I might come back tmmrw and spruce it up a bit. Maybe I'll even try using Photomatix or other HDR program to blend the three ACR conversions.

Attachments

• _MG_5661-tjm04_combined-ps03a_698px_hi-03.jpg
    _MG_5661-tjm04_combined-ps03a_698px_hi-03.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 30

iDad

Guru
Incentive needed lol,still a very cool image:thumbsup:

Here's my shot at it:

a) straighten;

b) attempt (not very succesful) to correct perspective distortion;

c) make three different RAW conversions, one each for the dark, mid and bright tones.

d) blend them manually using masks.

T

PS - Pls don't look too hard at the transition zone around the door where it abruptly goes from very dark to very bright. I got tired & bored and just kinda ignored that region. If I feel like it, I might come back tmmrw and spruce it up a bit. Maybe I'll even try using Photomatix or other HDR program to blend the three ACR conversions.

iDad

Guru
Why didn't Steve just use a flash?:mrgreen:

That's to easy,dummy. where is the fun in that:mrgreen:
Steve is trying to make use oldfolk full go blind so he doesn't need to spank us anymore:cheesygrin:

Steve

Retired Administrator
This is one of three I took to play with HDR, which is why no flash.The point is to show the large advantage of shooting raw if your camera supports it.
Take this raw file unadjusted and convert it to a JPG.Open it in ACR and see how far you get.
FYI, ACR has noise reduction adjustments included, no great investment of time there.

BTW this is the University of Tampa.This building is part of the original Tampa Hotel built in the late 1800's.

Although Tom's adjustments on the palm trees make them look the way palm trees should look, they actually were quite yellow.
There is also a lot of bamboo in the background which is not a deep green and has some yellow.
I toned it down a bit too but not too much.

Attachments

• _MG_5661.jpg
    _MG_5661.jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 3

Tom Mann

Guru
re the colors, Steve is being kind.

I actually was going for the "sell-the-garish-postcard-to-the-tourists" look. :p

This is also known as the "It's HDR - you didn't need those retinas, did you?" look. :mrgreen:

T

PS - He's right on the mark about not being able to rein in this much of a brightness difference if you only had a JPG to work with. Unless you can tolerate huge amounts of posterization and noise, you could never pull such detail out of the shadows.