What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can't use Brightness/contrast in layers

markbriscoe

Brightness/contrast only seems to have an effect on the 'background' layer--not on any subsequent layers I apply. And it only seems to be on the current docs that I am using--if I open some older ps docs from the recent past, brightness/contrast works fine on all layers...?

Hoogle

Guru
|I am guessing you have your layers as smart objects if Steves answer does not correct it just right click the layers and select rasterise or if you want to keep the smart oblect add a brightness\ contrast adjustment layer and create a clipping mask to adjust each layer seperately.

markbriscoe

Steve, "Use Legacy" is unchecked on new and old docs. I tried it checked and unchecked but with no difference...
Hoogle, your answer/suggestion was a bit techie for me (Im not a very smart object) I tried to rasterize the layer but that option was dimmed in the menu. I will--in the meantime--look into adjustment layers and clipping masks and see if I get anywhere

Thanks for your responses so far...

Hoogle

Guru
Seems odd go to layer > new adjustment layer> then whatever you want if you dont want it to effect every layer then move that layer above the 1 you want to effect right click it and select create clipping mask.