What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing color while keeping texture, shadows & highlights?

rustyw

Hi,

I want to try out different color paints and I've taken pictures of our rooms and want to apply paint colors while maintaining the texture, shadows and highlights that are on the wall. I can almost guess a couple of ways but thought I'd see what people suggest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Rusty

MrToM

Guru
Quick 'n' Dirty:
Cycle through the blend modes.
This would be a simple case of selecting the 'paint' layer and seeing which 'blend mode' gave a satisfactory result.
No guarantee it will work.

Bit more complex:
Frequency separation.
Plenty of stuff about this here on PSG or search YT for videos.
No guarantee it will work.

The easy route:
Get someone else to do it for you.
Post in the 'Free Edit' section here on PSG and no doubt someone will relish the opportunity to hone their skills doing this for you.
Guaranteed to work but results can vary dramatically.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well as long as your not wanting an exact color match, you can use a Hue & Saturation adjustment layer set to colorize.

Set the adjustment layer to multiply for richer color.

Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 7.13.00 PM.png

rustyw

Thanks MrtoM and IamSam for replying so fast. ! I do need an exact color...or as close as I can get to the paint colors we're thinking about. I'll give all suggestions a try!

Cheers,
Rusty

MrToM

Guru
IamSam

Ha, you beat me to it....I was looking for that too!

Thanks.

Regards.
MrToM.