What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

changing resolution for a wallpaper?

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
is there a special act to not losing image quality when changing the resolution of an image?

GRFS-29.jpg (image quality may not look right here because of resizing)

saay that one, which is one of my latest pieces, what would i have to do to keep it's original sharpness when changing the resolution?

all 83 of my wallpapers that i have been working on have gone up into the download section and they are all one fixed resolution. but i would need to know this as i have said that any resolution request can be catered for if i remembered to archive the PSD file.

hoping to relax on the ghost recon front and get some different stuff up. like my Ubuntu work and crap like that, and general messing about.
so, there's the question and i hope for a good answer :D

Last edited:
do you mean resolution or size I tend to find if I am doing wallpapers I would do them at an image size of 1900 x 1280 with a 300 ppi resolution and then if I resize it just constrain proportions. it is easier to make them smaller and still look good than make them smaller and enlarge them

true enough, but this one can go aaallll the way down to 800x600 pixels XD basically what i mean is to "blow it up" if you get me, change the size of the whole image while still making it look good, worst thing i want is unhappy downloaders :p
i did find out somewhere that 1400x1050 is a "universal resolution" (it'll look good on any screen) but i am somewhat doubtful :/

My experience is that making bigger up to 120% don't do much bad very tiny sharpness could be needed.
If more that 120% then it will go blury and maybe pixelate depends on original image quality. Like if it was nice tif then no big deal to enlarge it to 150% but if it was jpg with quality 6 then it shouldn't be used even at 100% :)

In that "walpaper" you provided now image quality itself isn't so important. But text is!
So if you made your text part by yourself then try not rasterize it. Then you can enlarge or make it smaller and still desktop will look good.
Actually, DON'T rasterize font layer and all will be okey :)

Hoogleman: for image it is so but for rasterize text making smaller is probably more bad than making bigger.

these days monitors vary from 14 inch square to 60 inch widescreens there is never going to be a 1 size fits all you are best doing a high resolutin 16:9 aspect ratio and a decent aspect ratio for the square monitors that way you could make downloads to suit the user as long as the aspect ratio matches which it will with 2 then it can be a 2 size fits all with a high resolution image

thanks for the tip hoogle. never thought to do it that way. i think the reason it's a so-called "universal" canvas is the fact it's balanced between square and rectangle, it looks okay on my 17 inch square screen and widescreen, but hey are rather small compared to the resolution.

@seniorS thanks, i'll remember that *repeats* don't rasterize :p

"wallpaper" ??? why in quotations?

Last edited:
"wallpaper" ??? why in quotations?
Hmm...i don't know really :) ... i was writen first image then i found out that i use twice that word so i changed first to "wallpaper" with no bad thoughts.

P.S. that don't rasterize i get myself in yesterday makeing watermark and trying to resize it after rasterize and find that even 75% down make it look very bad.

Last edited:

Back