What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CMYK - that old favourite

miranda_panda

I've only ever created graphics for the screen, now I'm trying to create something for print.

I started a Photoshop document with a CMYK colour mode and soon discovered it would only let me choose colours that look murky on screen.

I've been all over the internet to read about CMYK vs RGB etc and I've seen things to suggest that printers can't print the vibrant colours we see on screen. Fine, but what about the magazine I have next to me where I can see beautiful vibrant turquoises and fushias? How did THOSE colours get on to the paper?

If a CMYK colour looks murky on screen will it look more vibrant when printed?

First is important what color profile you choose for cmyk. In which i found important how much total ink in black it provides.
And papers have diferent requirement for it. Better paper bigger total ink it lets and more it cost.
And journals has very good coated paper and mostly have laminating which with proper cmyk image gives that vibrant and very saturated color.
Compare paper of some daily magazine with lets say National Geographic journal. Same image will look very diferent on those.

I started a Photoshop document with a CMYK colour mode and soon discovered it would only let me choose colours that look murky on screen.

On what kind of printer will this be printed?
If it's a commercial printer the output needs to be in CMYK.

If it's going to to your personal printer, or an online photo lab, or Costco, or you're corner drugstore it should be RGB.
Adobe Photoshop CS5 * About desktop printing

If it's going to to your personal printer, or an online photo lab, or Costco, or you're corner drugstore it should be RGB.

If ink in catriges is low or not used photopaper it still will look like printed cmyk in daily magazine.

Could be SS but the thing is Miranda is going about this the wrong way.

For starters the image should be created in RGB.
If this image is going to a commercial printer the printing company needs to tell you what is required, if the image even needs to be converted, and what profile should be used.
In some circumstances the print co. will give you the correct profile.

With that information you can make adjustments, print proofs on your own printer that will simulate the real output, and let you fine tune the output to get the best possible results.

You don't just create an image in CMYK.

Could be SS but the thing is Miranda is going about this the wrong way.

For starters the image should be created in RGB.
If this image is going to a commercial printer the printing company needs to tell you what is required, if the image even needs to be converted, and what profile should be used.
In some circumstances the print co. will give you the correct profile.

With that information you can make adjustments, print proofs on your own printer that will simulate the real output, and let you fine tune the output to get the best possible results.

You don't just create an image in CMYK.

I agree and disagree at the same time.

Miranda hasn't said with what type of image she is working.
If it's photography then you absolutly right. If it's "illustration" (or how it better call, let say thing that can be done by illustrator, lines, areas filled with color, text etc) then no, it's a bad idea to make it RGB first then convert (if it will be printed on CMYK printer of course).

It's an illustration with block colour and it'll be printed by a professional printer.
I'm going to just find the colours that look least murky on screen then speak to the printers to find out what they think the outcome will be on my chosen paper. Sound like the best plan?

Yes, of course. But i suggest to ask them first what color mode they'll print and how to prepare it.

One tip, if will be CMYK and you have text or black(contour or something) lines. Then better start with CMYK and for those "stand alone" black use CMYK black - C=0%, M=0%, Y=0%, K=100%. If it's RGB don't bother about it.

Back