What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

color replacement tool

jezza

Hiya
Have started to teach myself photoshop at the ripe old age of 66. I've mastered a few things but I'm having a nightmare with the color replacement tool! I've spent two days now watching youtube tutorials but still have the following problem with attached PNG.
I'm trying to replace the PINK case colour with the other colours above, i.e. blue white and black but when I select another colour and paint it just changes the pink case colour to a slightly different shade? I just cant get it to replace pink with white, or blue or black even though i've tried everything with swatches etc.. Does anyone know the easiest way to do this? Am I using the best tool to replace a colour?
many thanks for any help?
Jezza
1591806986538.png

color replacement tool.png

hawkeye

Guru
The color replacement tool only changes the hue and saturation, but not the luminosity. That's why your color isn't correct. For accurate color changes it isn't the best way to go. Take a look at this video for a better understanding.

jezza

Wow, thanks IAMSAM and hawkeye for quick replies and video links. Will crack on with these tutorials tomorrow :)
Jezza

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Works fairly well with black. The sample image is really poor quality. All color changes would work better with a hi res image.

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 1.20.49 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just given it another go but I'm still getting a weird grey colour?
Just looked at your PSD file and since there were only two layers, I'm not at all sure what you have done. As you stated, you may need to run the tutorial again. For the white, your layers panel should look more like this.........
Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 4.40.54 PM.png

jezza

Just looked at your PSD file and since there were only two layers, I'm not at all sure what you have done. As you stated, you may need to run the tutorial again. For the white, your layers panel should look more like this.........
View attachment 112998

Hi IamSam
Sorry to be a pain but I've watched the video a couple more times and I'm getting nowhere fast with this, might have to go back to paint as I find it easier to use (cant even find where blending modes is in photoshop!). I think I'm trying to jump in to photoshop although I don't really know the basic layout of the software yet, so probably need to spend some time going back to the basic tutorials first!

Thank you anyway for your time and patience :)
Regards,
Jezza

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
(cant even find where blending modes is in photoshop!)

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 8.01.46 AM copy.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 8.06.43 AM.png

I think I'm trying to jump in to photoshop although I don't really know the basic layout of the software yet, so probably need to spend some time going back to the basic tutorials first!
I understand, it takes some time. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions. Myself and the other members of this forum no not mind answering questions.