What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coloring B & W photo

psyclop

I've been trying to color an old photo for my mother for christmas.
It is a first try for me, I absolutly have no idea what the original were, I have done some change to the left side cause I felt it missed

details.

So lets play a game everyone (Bitch the picture) looking foward to what you dislike about the photo,
Like and dislike is a talent that everybody are born with, even people that are new to photoshop
youre opinion count.

Here's 2 photo the original (scan from the old photo) and what I have so far.

Thank in advance & Merry Christmas to all.

Attachments

• color.jpg
    color.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 1
  • B & W.jpg
    B & W.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 1

psyclop

Ya she never smile a lot but how did you know ???
Ok I have found an other picture of my mom the same day with better facial expression ( she smile a lot more), so I've decided to use it.

The way I know to do that , is to put a layer of the new smiley face under the main pic layer (B & W) most of the color including skin color
are adjustement layer hue/saturation, then I added a layer mask to the main image and reveal the facial expression.

my problem now is to integrate the hue/saturation adjustement layer (which I did not save )to the new B & W face expression.

I hope this is understandable.

Attachments

• mafia.jpg
    mafia.jpg
    995.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

sPECtre

Guru
The overall result looks very good, the skin tones are a bit pale, the blue dress is maybe a bit too flashy on the gun picture, but it is a matter of taste.
I find the green of the cabinet a bit too distracting.
Also, could you try to tone down the shadow of the father?

I don't get what you mean with the hue-sat layer... If you haven't saved its masks and settings, it is gone...

Steve

Retired Administrator
Some one on another forum with a similar name suggested the red flowers were a bit strong ( I wonder who that Might have been? ;))

I agree with sPECtre, the skin tones should be more pronounced but the overall contrast needs to be reduced IMHO.