What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Could not save as "F:\ photo.jpg",because the disk is full"

bozojim

Ok this is weird. Oh, hello by the way! I have a MAJOR PROBLEM.

I just upgraded from XP to Win7 64Bit. I also added more memory of 8GB DDR2 PC6400/800MHz. As soon as I installed Photoshop, (I had to use my old photoshop7 program, since I misplaced my CS3 Disk) onto this new O.S.

I went into EDIT>Preferences>,Memory and Image cache, I see that the available ram is 1720 MB,and memory usage is 75%, or 1290MB. Should this be bigger or smaller?

I created a path to go to my Biggest HDD, which is 1731GB free.
I also go into Plug-ins and Scratch disks and I have in this order>
F:\ 32 GB FREE (2TB HDD)
C:\ 420 GB FREE (500GB HDD)
G:\ 32 GB FREE (74GB HDD)

Image and Memory Cache is set at "4". The Photoshop scratch has I/0 DISABLED.

My O.S.,Applications,programs are on the C:\ Boot drive, but I mostly save all my digital work to my biggest drive, but yet, after spending some time on a project, merge layers,Flattened image,and try to SAVE IT, I get this message telling me the

COULD NOT SAVE AS F:\ image3.jpg, DISK IS FULL. ....WHAT!!!

What DISK are they talking about, the SCRATCH DISK, or my HDD Disk?

When I go back to change the scratch disk order, it tells me it will make changes AFTER I restart Photoshop.

Is there any way I can still save this work NOW, without restarting Photoshop? I've tried changing the scratch disk order, and I KNOW I'M SAVING THIS PROJECT ON MY BIGGEST HDD, but why is it telling me the DISK IS FULL?

Should the scratch disk volume be bigger or smaller?

One other thing..When I jumped from 3.3GB Ram with XP Limitations, then upgraded to Win7, with another 4GB Ram,which I now have 8GB, I would think the available ram in the Pref folder would be much more than 1720MB.

Thanks for any help. :cheesygrin:

Only PS CS4 and CS5 support 64bit so you're not going to get the advantage of that memory at least in Photoshop until you upgrade.
The 32bit versions of CS5 and CS4 can address 3.2GB of of memory on a 64bit OS and 1.7GB on a 32bit OS.

If you're sure you installed the 64bit OS then I have to assume that PS 7 can only address 1.7GB.
I do know that CS3 can see the full 3.2GB.

I don't know what the issue is with the save|disk full issue.
I doubt it's a scratch disk issue but I can't be sure.
Run Chkdsk on the drive in question.

Thanks Steve,
Good to know. Just can't believe I can not use all this nre RAM with CS3 with Win7, if I ever find that disc, but I'm looking at the CS5 system requirements, and this is what I read...

"Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 3; Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (Service Pack 2 recommended); or Windows 7"

.....YET, it does not specify whether it supports both 32 and 64 BIT, or separately. At least not on the AMAZON site. $650.00 I DO HAVE THE 64 BIT WINDOWS 7. Thanks again!

Thanks Steve,
For now I'll try to just use photo7,until I find my CS3 install disc, with license key on it.

I opened Photoshop 7, Help> System Info>
Here's what I see- O.S. shows Windows NT, but I have Windows7 /64)
Built-In memory - 0
Free memory - 0
Memory available - 1720MB
Image cache levels - 4
async I/O Disabled
Application folder - (C\)
Temp path folder - (C\)

Then I save all my work to the biggest HDD, the 2TB. The async I/O is diasabled, and don't remember how I saw that in EDIT> PREFERENCES. Would that help anything here?

Back