What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating a Zoom Effect

AudunNilsen

Hi

Just getting into web design, and I know a little from before, but basically, it´s ... a desert.

The first issue I encountered now was, making a layer via copy.

I want to make a zoom in like this:

38144b48f508eb6779637c4e699989f9.jpg
"Could not make a selection, because the selected area was empty"

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

P.S.

I also want fancy stream lines, like on the Windows logo-background.

"Could not make a selection, because the selected area was empty"

Hi,
Often, when you get an error message saying "selected area was empty", it may mean that you have activated an empty layer, rather than the layer that you're trying to copy from. In the image below, I made a selection around the giraffe's head and tried to copy it, but because Layer 2—which is empty—is the active layer, there are no pixels in Layer 2 to copy. Instead, activate the layer with the giraffe and then try your copy commands.

If this doesn't address your problem, I suggest you attach a screenshot of your Photoshop file where we can see your layers and what you're trying to do.

1712949931100.png

I want to make a zoom in like this:

1. You need a photo of a Giraffe. Bottom layer.
Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 8.34.21 PM.png

2. You need a photo of a camera. Next to bottom layer.
3. On a new layer, make a selection of the inside of the camera screen area and fill with a similar color of the background.
Name this layer "Camera colored screen template"
Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 8.34.45 PM.png

4. Use a clipping mask to clip a silly Giraffe face photo to the camera colored screen template layer.
5. Adjust the size using free transform (Cmd/Cntrl + T)
Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 8.34.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 8.43.46 PM.png

Back