What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crosshatch pattern appears at various zoom levels?

fliernh

Trying to figure out why PS CS5 running on windows 7 gives me a crosshatch pattern at various zoom levels while viewing photo (jpeg, NEF, DNG).Capture.JPG Hope that is big enough to see. If zoom levle is 6.26, 12.5, 25, 50, 100 or 200, the image is clear with no problem. At any other zoom level, I get some form of this.

Just noticed this the other day after doing an update. I have removed Photoshop cs5 and re-installed with no impact. It continued to do this right after install from disk and after re-doing the update.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks much

Mark

Looks like your blowing it up to where it's starting to show the pixels on a "low Res" file, a cross hatch pattern runs at an angle, what you are seeing is a grid..

This occurs at even very small viewing levels. The files are large (10mb) and it works at larger zoom levels, just not at all zoom levels. For example the view is fine at 100% but not at 66%. Clear image only occurs at 6.25, 12.5, 25, 50, 100 and 200 zoom levels. All in between those give the grid pattern. Does that make sense? Thanks much.

when is the transparent grid"not there"
can you show it without?

when is the transparent grid"not there"
can you show it without?

The view is normal in every way when the zoom levels are at the values shown above. If I move through the zoom levels the view moves from the "funky grid" to normal depending on the zoom level. The "funky grid" is different at each zoom level in which it appears.

Weird, eh?

hm when you print it does it appear in print? Could be your memory is maxed out causing the program to hangup at that sequence of processing. just a guess

...... Clear image only occurs at 6.25, 12.5, 25, 50, 100 and 200 zoom levels. All in between those give the grid pattern. Does that make sense? Thanks much.

Oh, this isn't Pixel View after all.
I'd try the video driver as already suggested.

Try this, go to Edit|Preference|Performance and uncheck "Enable OpenGL Drawing" if it's checked.

I think there's a clue here with the percentages where you have no problems.
It's always been preferable to view image in PS at ratios that can be evenly divided into 100% (1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1:1, 2:1) the numbers your listing.
I don't remember why or how this relates to your problem yet.

hm when you print it does it appear in print? Could be your memory is maxed out causing the program to hangup at that sequence of processing. just a guess

I have 4 GB of ram and this didn't happen in the past even when I still had only 2GB so I don't think memory shortage would now result in the grid pattern. Not sure how to check though.

I really doubt it's a RAM issue, it could however be a Video Card RAM issue but the problem with that is, it's only happening at certain ratio's, so more than likely, that's not the problem....

I thought about what Steve suggested but forgot to get back to this thread to post it, did you try what Steve suggested you do?

That fixed the problem!!

Oh, this isn't Pixel View after all.
I'd try the video driver as already suggested.

Try this, go to Edit|Preference|Performance and uncheck "Enable OpenGL Drawing" if it's checked.

I think there's a clue here with the percentages where you have no problems.
It's always been preferable to view image in PS at ratios that can be evenly divided into 100% (1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1:1, 2:1) the numbers your listing.
I don't remember why or how this relates to your problem yet.

Steve, Thanks much, your suggestion to uncheck "enable OpenGL Drawing" did the trick. I unchecked that box, restarted PS and all zoom levels now work fine. Thanks to every one else that provided input as well. I appreciate it. Cheers,

Mark

Hey, glad it worked for you.
A lot of folks including me have had video problems with the upgrade to CS5.
As you update the video driver over the months see if you can turn OpenGL back on.
Not absolutely necessary though.

Back