What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Customize

Grasimi

can someone make my car gloss black with gloss black rims? if possible may you tint the windows and make the mustang lettering chrome

A5314175-F750-4AF2-9179-9A434184ADBF.jpeg

Ray Guselli

Enjoying this thread...

Would appreciate any help/feedback as to the best way to change colour from white to black please.

I have been trying different layer modes etc but not getting the nice shine such as Ex Teacher, and Babine's excellent work.....

Thanks

Ray

ex_teacher

Guru
I just had a message on this exact same thing so I'll duplicate it and post here.

Turning a white vehicle into black is the worst. I almost didn't do it because of that
As you know its all about reflections and I tried to use the existing ones in the white. I started out cutting out the body shell, duplicating it and then processing it with curves or levels to turn the darkest 'whites; into very dark gray and the lightest 'whites ' into somewhat lighter darkish colors or tones as appropriates. At that point it was flat and I duplicated that layer and processed those two with differing localized contrast enhancement (camera RAW clarity +fiddling and a Topaz clarity to taste) striving to accentuate those tonal changes. I had a nose + the rest of the car then and processed another middle layer for the side door insert with the interesting reflection. That's actually overlaid by changing transparency.

My screen looked like this:

PS screen.jpgThat was V1 and I ended on V10 but the essence of the project was already there. The ensuing saves were cleanup and adding more substantive but fake reflections, The sky reflection in the rear quarter was borrowed from a black panel van and massaged in. The burn tool was my friend and used a lot .

Bruce

Ray Guselli

I just had a message on this exact same thing so I'll duplicate it and post here.

Turning a white vehicle into black is the worst. I almost didn't do it because of that
As you know its all about reflections and I tried to use the existing ones in the white. I started out cutting out the body shell, duplicating it and then processing it with curves or levels to turn the darkest 'whites; into very dark gray and the lightest 'whites ' into somewhat lighter darkish colors or tones as appropriates. At that point it was flat and I duplicated that layer and processed those two with differing localized contrast enhancement (camera RAW clarity +fiddling and a Topaz clarity to taste) striving to accentuate those tonal changes. I had a nose + the rest of the car then and processed another middle layer for the side door insert with the interesting reflection. That's actually overlaid by changing transparency.

My screen looked like this:

View attachment 122832That was V1 and I ended on V10 but the essence of the project was already there. The ensuing saves were cleanup and adding more substantive but fake reflections, The sky reflection in the rear quarter was borrowed from a black panel van and massaged in. The burn tool was my friend and used a lot .

Bruce

Thank you ex Teacher for a wonder and detailed example.

That really helps and enables me to learn.

The screenshot of your workflow is also a great help.

Very much appreciated and thank you for your time.

Best wishes Ray

ex_teacher

Guru
You are very welcome, Ray.

On the offside chance you didn't know this, please note the procedural layers with those little bent arrow thingies that point down. That's a clipping mask and my one example doesn't really show how much I used them in this particular project. As I see it, the key to success here is delineating highlights. The problem is that one area of the car required much different treatment than another but these pieces are all stacked. The clipping mask allows us to modify one layer without the layers below being affected. It makes for an incredibly powerful workflow and I'm surprised when someone is not using them.

Bruce

Ray Guselli

You are very welcome, Ray.

On the offside chance you didn't know this, please note the procedural layers with those little bent arrow thingies that point down. That's a clipping mask and my one example doesn't really show how much I used them in this particular project. As I see it, the key to success here is delineating highlights. The problem is that one area of the car required much different treatment than another but these pieces are all stacked. The clipping mask allows us to modify one layer without the layers below being affected. It makes for an incredibly powerful workflow and I'm surprised when someone is not using them.

Bruce
Thank you Bruce...

That is appreciated.

I use clipping masks a lot as they are so useful...but appreciate you being kind enough to cover that aspect of the process too.

You have done an excellent job indeed.

Very best wishes Ray

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yikes! Something not looking right here!

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 9.17.51 AM.png