What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting Image, Part Remains = Transparent Cut Image

Magamdy

Hello, I'm having some problems with correctly cutting images. These are images I ripped from a game by the way.

What I was taught to do to cut the image is to go to the alpha channel, and click the selection button, then switch back to RGB and cut it. With some images, when I do that it leaves a white visible part, and the cut image turns out to be transparent. This also happens when is select RGB and Alpha channel at the same time (with the selection of the alpha channel). How do I fix this? Thanks.

just cut it regularly.
delete the standard background layer (not needed if its not there)
then dont mess with chanels but just cut it out

Magamdy said:
1. Go to the alpha channel (RGB, Red, Green, Blue??)
2. Click the selection button (????)
3. Switch back to RGB
4. Cut it.

This is very vague, can you explain this process in more detail so that we can understand what your doing exactly. If possible, provide an example of what your talking about.

Thanks.

Yeah, huh?

I agree with Chris. There are numerous selection tools available in PS. My favorites are the pen tool and the quick select. As long as you zoom in very close and watch your contours, then clean up on a mask, you can get great "cuts." But unless you are extracting fine details like hair, why use the channel selection method, if that is what you're doing. It's very hard to use anyway if you don't have great contrast between subject and BG, very tricky to impossible.

If hair is course and jaggy, it is easy to pen tool it and zoom in to individual pixels and fix it up. I cheat with curly, fine hair when I don't have an image I can use with channels. Then I keep as much as I can and supplement with brushes. There are tons of great hair brush sets on the web. Anyway, that's my advice.

Meantime, like IamSam suggested, describe what you are doing so we can figure out the problem.

The alpha channel is a good way to make cuts. I regularly use the alpha channels and calculations to make a cut. Then I repeat the same process paint in smaller black and white detail and use levels, then further more, make a selection then refine edges.

Then if need be I will zoom in as close as possible and with a very tiny brush, I will tidy up the edges.

I think my task today will be doing a video tutorial on this and post it up when done.

Peace.

I'm sorry for the vagueness, I had 4 images uploaded to describe but unfortunately I couldn't post a link.... With selection I mean the dotted circle line: "Load Channel as Selection". I do this because it selects the actual image very precicely, much more precicely then I could do with the pen.

Image 1.jpgImage 2.jpgImage 3.jpgImage 4.jpg

if you look at imaga 2 , you can see gray parts in alpha1
that are the parts that become partial transparant

you can make those grey parts white by adjusting the levels
go to image >> adjust levels and move the white triangle to 200

level.jpg

learned something new thanx a lot :)

FYI Magamdy, you can upload images at any time. There's an upload icon in the reply window, a box with a tree, and it has two tabs, one for links and one for direct uploads. :mrgreen:

Clare, I also prefer alpha channels for complex masking/background removal. Here is one of my favorite TUTORIALS on the subject.

I have used alpha channels for hair selections and animal fur, but I never used the analysis to finish the work. Seems way easier than painting in black and levels over and over again, and all that. I'm going to try Inkz's tutorial. Looks like great results.

Back