What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting out a complicated design

arachosia

Hello, a friend of mine wanted me to design a tattoo for him. He wants to combine the insignia from a US passport with the insignia of a Pakistan passport. I thought I could just scan them in and cut out the background so I was just left with the lines, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

I tried selecting the color range of the background so I could eliminate it and just leave the lines, but the background is not a perfectly solid color so there are tons of artifacts left over. I can manually erase the background, but it will take an eternity because the designs are very intricate with lots of areas of negative space.

Furthermore, the lines themselves are not very smooth. They have very rough edges because they were printed onto leather. They look like if you were to draw with chalk on rough cement.

If anyone has any advice on how to extract the linework from the background, I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

go to select > colour range and use your eye dropper to pick the part of the image you want selected

Back