What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

designed my own camouflage for a laugh :P

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
works okay, not incredibly effective.

Designed for woodland locations with varying grass colors.

Camo Experiment.jpg

camo test 1.jpg

waddya think?

Looks like it would be effective to me. I like the softness, kind of resembles A-TAC camo which I've always thought was a pretty good all around pattern (better than Multi-Cam because of the softness). One thing that pops out is the dark rectangular area, it kind of draws your eyes to it. If you could tone that down and maybe add smaller dark shadow areas around the pattern I think it would be really blend well.

thanks guys.

@robbcobb, A-TACS was the inspiration, it's a very effective camouflage, not to mention, multicam sticks out like a sore thumb in woodland environments.

I'll have a go at reducing or spreading out that dark area and report back. ;) thanks :)

I can see the edge of the square and the jacket - not very convincing really:mrgreen:

This cammo would be terrain specific, it might have a hard time working in other surroundings. A good test for cammo is if you can take a sample from it anywhere and the edges/outlines are broken up against a given background, which is the purpose of cammo.

How many cammo swatches do you see?

camo test 1.1.png

Multi-Cam's not too bad. The old woodland pattern beats it all to pieces though. Absolute worst IMO is ACU. Don't know what the Army was thinking with that stuff. Or any of the digital camo, with the possible exception of the desert Mar-Pat. ACU and AF ABU blends real good with certain furniture upholstery :mrgreen:. For hunting/wildlife photography the best camo I've ever found is ASAT. I've actually touched deer wearing that stuff, it's like they are looking right through it. Not so good on people though in my experience.
But having said that, on a field exercise years ago we pulled up to a tanker wearing woodland on a tank trail and talked to him a good 15 seconds before I noticed his sgt standing on the other side of the ditch holding an old M3 greasegun and wearing OD jungle fatigues.

If you ever go commercial with your camo designs, one of your advertisements should be your jacket placed in the field (just like in the photo you posted) with someone made up to look like the actor in the old invisible man movie standing nearby and looking quizzically at it. :rofl:

T

movinvisibleman-crop.jpg

This cammo would be terrain specific, it might have a hard time working in other surroundings. A good test for cammo is if you can take a sample from it anywhere and the edges/outlines are broken up against a given background, which is the purpose of cammo.

How many cammo swatches do you see?

View attachment 35888
I have researched camouflage before, and thought of several of my own, however I could never get it just right in photoshop.

I used to do a lot of re-textures for games, and I learned about what camouflage does and doesn't do along the way including breaking up the silhouette of an object.

this one is one will work okay in wild grass areas like the one above as the pattern mimics the chutes of grass and their varying color. however would not work well in well kept grass areas where its all green etc etc.
I've taken a liking to a particle based camouflage for desert environments.

Absolute worst IMO is ACU. Don't know what the Army was thinking with that stuff.
yeah, I've never got my head around "oh yeah, grey works really well in in sandy and woodland environments!"

I have a particular disliking to digital camouflage, unless in an urban setting as it does not mimic the natural environment, and can actually make the subject easier to spot.

but sometimes the best camo is no camo at all, just plain colours :p

so doing that tom! XD

Updated version, bit lighter and less obvious (i hope) dark rectangle:
camo 2b.jpg

you see the edges, Paul, because of 2 reasons. #1 the tiler I used is not the best it just repeats the edge. and #2 It's not actually there, so lighting situations and whatnot, are different.

Back