What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Displace Filter Not Working in CS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommypants

I used to apply the Displace filter all the time in previous versions of Photoshop so it's not like I am unfamiliar with this filter. But in CS5, all the displace maps I have in a folder no longer work in CS5.

I am trying to apply Displace to make it look like a reflection is rippling across a watery surface.

(see prob1.jpg)

No matter what settings I use or image I use for the displament map, it only does this to a small area of the image.

(see prob2.jpg)

Like I said, I am very familiar with the displacement filter options in Photoshop and all of my maps are grayscale .PSDs which worked perfectly for years in previous versions.

I just have no clue why I am having this problem.

I just switched computers and am on Windows 7. Could there be a bug with Windows 7?

My video card is an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295

Attachments

• prob1.jpg
    prob1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 10
  • prob2.jpg
    prob2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 10
Oops. Sorry I forgot to say mine is 32 bit.

And just a heads up - although I have been using Photoshop and other tech-heavy programs like 3DS Max for over 14 years, I readily admit I am an idiot when it comes to technical issues that most people of my experience are very familiar with.

I use these programs to make pretty images but when something goes wrong with them, I cry like a 6 year old schoolgirl.

Hi Tommypants

When you save the desaturated "displace file.PSD", make sure that the compatibility for your PSD files is maximized.

max.jpg

If not you'll get artifacts or distortions all over the place, like the second image you posted.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. I made sure that Maximize Compatibility was checked and it is still happening.

can you run a hardware check like Macs do?

Yes. I run disc checks regularly and do regular virus scanning. I have been using the Displace Filter for over 10 years so I am very familiar with how to use it and have never had this occur before. This must be a bug or something because i am at a complete loss as to what is going on with this one filter.

I also have a problem with the keyboard shortcuts (namely the brush resize shortcuts) so I am thinking CS5 must be buggy with Windows 7. But again, I am not a tech guy so i could be totally wrong.

Try resetting your PS preferences file sometimes PS star acting weird for no reason, just to get it back to the default settings

when Photoshop starts hold down Alt, Ctrl, and Shift keys (Mac: Command, Option, Shift)

See if that helps.

Good Luck.

Thanks Maximus but I have reset preferences several times before but to no avail in this matter. I should have mentioned that in my original post. Sorry I forgot to.

Thanks Maximus but I have reset preferences several times before but to no avail in this matter. I should have mentioned that in my original post. Sorry I forgot to.

have you tried the displacement filter whit other files as well and if so the result is always the same or just when working whit specific files?

have you tried the displacement filter whit other files as well and if so the result is always the same or just when working whit specific files?

Yes, with several different files. And several test files where I just scribble on a new layer and try the Displacement filter. It's always the same result no matter which displacement map I try.

Is there some place I can just download a new displacement plugin or something? nothing illegal. I'm just tossing out ideas here.

try updating ps have you checked up dates?

Yes, with several different files. And several test files where I just scribble on a new layer and try the Displacement filter. It's always the same result no matter which displacement map I try.

Is there some place I can just download a new displacement plugin or something? nothing illegal. I'm just tossing out ideas here.

This is rather strange, i've recreated your issue in my machine, but it only happens when save the file whit "maximize compatibility unchecked" other ways seems to work normal.

This will be a dramatic suggestion but there's not apparent reason why your PS is acting like that, so i will say maybe if you try uninstalling your PS version via add_remove programs, but if you gonna try this make sure you "deactivate your version first" then remove the program and just install it back on and rectivate it using your personal REG_NUMBER.

By the Way, don't think that the problem relies on your hardware but rather in PS itself, this is only a suggestion of course, maybe it will fix some issues that you been having whit PS

try updating ps have you checked up dates?

Well, strap me buck-nekkid to an anthill and smear my ears with jam...

I just updated CS5 and Displace is working perfectly now!

Thanks so much, iDad! And thank you too, Sir Maximus!

This is rather strange, i've recreated your issue in my machine, but it only happens when save the file whit "maximize compatibility unchecked" other ways seems to work normal.

This will be a dramatic suggestion but there's not apparent reason why your PS is acting like that, so i will say maybe if you try uninstalling your PS version via add_remove programs, but if you gonna try this make sure you "deactivate your version first" then remove the program and just install it back on and rectivate it using your personal REG_NUMBER.

By the Way, don't think that the problem relies on your hardware but rather in PS itself, this is only a suggestion of course, maybe it will fix some issues that you been having whit PS

Please see my reply. iDad solved my problem but I thanked you too for your help in this. I greatly appreciate both your efforts in helping me.

Thank you both and please expect 6 truckloads of gold bars to your doors tomorrow morning.

Now that is what PsG is all about.. excellent work guys!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back