What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Displacement maps in 3d texturing

pt123

Hi!

I have a question regarding texture mapping with 3d models in Photoshop..

I want to texture my model using a displacement map to help guide some of the textures, but when I load the map, it creates very bold and blocky shapes which doesn't really match the texture.

I'm wondering if anyone in the community might know what causes that and how to fix the problem? I would like to have an accurate displacement map with the correct details.

I am imagining the problem could be something in the materials, but I see no clear solution. I loaded the textures with the "normals" folder. I see no other way to load it. I've tried render passes and it doesn't improve the texture at all; it fact it made it worse.

Any ideas or help? Any help is much appreciated. I'm uploading images for commuinication purposes. One is the model and map, and the other is a rough image of the path - (normal maps loaded through the properties)

Thank you for any help.

PT

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 3.13.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 3.13.27 PM.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 5.15.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 5.15.58 PM.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 23
Are you using a 3d program to load the textures on the model? If done and loaded in PS, it may not display properly or you may have to tweek it some more. This explains the "poke throughs". Are you using a model template to create the texture on?

Better results can be achieved if you create the template based from the model with applications like UVMapper.

Hi dv8_fx,

Thank you for your response.

I am loading the texture onto the model, as mentioned, through the "normal maps" loading attribute in the properties panel. When you say I may need to tweak it some more, what do you mean? Where do I tweak it and using what method. I'm still not clear on what may be causing it, but if you have suggestions on where I can maybe start this investigation, it can be quite helpful.

I am not using a model template, if I understand your question correctly. I received the model as an obj with the displacement maps. I loaded the 3d model as a new 3d layer, then loaded the displacement maps, and it looks like this.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you

I see.

I have to give this a shot since I've never used PS's 3d capabilities with a human object figure loaded in . Tho I've created a few human textures with PS using a texture template for use in another 3d application - POSER.

I'll have to see if the Poser object files can load in PS. If not, try a 3ds obj to experiment with.

Let me give this a try and I'll get back to you. In the meantime, I believe there was a topic here somewhere that discussed texturing and displacement maps in PS .

Hi dv8_fx,

Thank you so much, I am really grateful for this offer to help. I will take a look as well in the topics to see if I can find the needed information.

Thank you again very much.

I see.

I have to give this a shot since I've never used PS's 3d capabilities with a human object figure loaded in . Tho I've created a few human textures with PS using a texture template for use in another 3d application - POSER.

I'll have to see if the Poser object files can load in PS. If not, try a 3ds obj to experiment with.

Let me give this a try and I'll get back to you. In the meantime, I believe there was a topic here somewhere that discussed texturing and displacement maps in PS .

Back