What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drawing circle in cc15

master00log

Hi everyone

Looking for help with drawing circle like one below in photo shop cc15

Untitled.jpg

Tried to google it but could not really name it properly

Your help its very appreciated

Regards
Bart

MrToM

Guru
This is done in 2014 but the principle is the same.

Before the video starts I set up your image as a template...rotated and positioned so that one segment, at the top, is level and centred.

The only keyboard shortcut I used was CTRL + T to enter transform mode to rotate each piece by 60°.
Nudging of pieces into place was done with the cursor keys.

I make a mistake moving the last piece and the gradient angle for the second piece but I corrected them almost immediately.

There is no audio in the video....Note: the poster pic does NOT represent the final result.

Please excuse the crudity of this video.
I didn't have time to build it to scale or to paint it.

Any questions just ask.

(And no, I don't know what it's called either.)

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

I didn't annotate it so if something doesn't make sense, just ask.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrToM, once you had the shape created, could you have copied (Cmd + J) the shape, then using transform, rotated it around it's center point and then step and repeat for the rest?

MrToM

Guru
...once you had the shape created, could you have copied (Cmd + J) the shape, then using transform, rotated it around it's center point and then step and repeat for the rest?...
Not really mate.....the 'centres' of each shape lie on the points of a much smaller 'hexagon'.....they are not concentric.

You could, I suppose, do all the calculations to get it spot on but I just eye-balled it....via the original image.

There must be an equation for the initial size of the of the circles, the larger 'internal' circle and the size of the hexagon used for the centres but.....I eye-balled it. :biglaff:

Good call though!

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well you knew I would have to try! LOL!!

The step and repeat works well. It's the gradient that does not duplicate with the new shapes.
Since all but one shape is on the same layer, the gradient affects them all.

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 11.53.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 11.37.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 11.42.24 AM.png

I thought there was a way to make the shapes repeat to a new layer each time. Still playing.

Last edited:

master00log

MrToM as I'm newbie can not figure out things from the video between 34sek - 1min do you press any key for pink frame to appear and after that black frame allowing to resize it ?
Thanks

MrToM

Guru
Forget the 'pink' lines....they are smart guides.

CTR + T puts you into transform mode so that you can rotate the pixels on the selected layer.
Thats the black box with the 8 control boxes in the centre of each edge and a centre point in the middle.

Place your cursor just outside the black box and the cursor changes to a curved double arrow.....its then that dragging will rotate the layer.

Hold down SHIFT to constrain to 15° degree increments.
For this you need 4 increments to make 60°.

You can click the 'tick' as I do in the video or hit return / enter.

I tried not to use any keyboard shortcuts in the video as at the time I couldn't record them......so everything is done 'long hand'.

Duplicating the circlular path is done by holding ALT and dragging....using the 'Path Selection' tool (Black Arrow)
Same for the duplication of the layers.....ALT + drag as I did or CTRL + J.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrToM I need your expertly skilled opinion.

If I use a non-shape, the step and repeat adds each new selection to it's own layer.

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 2.44.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 2.44.30 PM.png

How do I do this with shapes?

MrToM

Guru
:rofl:

I dunno mate.....been trying to do it myself!

Not sure you can....unless its a smart object....maybe?

I'll let ya know if I get anywhere but don't hold your breath.

Regards.
MrICantDoItEither.

MrToM

Guru
Well that didn't take long.....try this:

Instead of using JUST CTRL + T use CTRL + ALT + T for the first rotation.
(Command + Option + T)

THEN use CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + T, (Command + Option + Shift + T), to repeat the rotation and it should....should, also duplicate it to a new layer too.

See if that works mate.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited: