What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Duplicate Camera Raw Clarity in PS

LDMartin1959

I have seen an explanation of Camera Raw's clarity setting, what it does and the PhotoShop equivalent adjustments (can't lay my hands on it at the moment but I'm sure I could find it again). However, the explanation that I saw seemed to apply only to positive values on the clarity slider. I am curious about what the changes are being made when it is run into the negative values and how to duplicate those changes/adjustments in PhotoShop proper if the image in question is not in a format that can be opened in CR.

Thank you.

Bonedog

the same function can be used in lightroom, it basically blurres the image, with a similar effect to dust and scratches, hope this helps

LDMartin1959

the same function can be used in lightroom, it basically blurres the image, with a similar effect to dust and scratches, hope this helps
It helps in a sort of general way but do you have some more concrete details? I am trying to locate the other document I saw but as I recall it mentioned that the changes it makes are similar to PS's Unsharp Mask if set a high radius and low amount values. But as I understand the unsharp mask settings, this would not be usable to simulate a negative clarity value. So I'm looking for what PS settings would have to be manipulated (and in what way) to simulate a negative clarity.

Paul

Former Member
[FONT=adobe-clean, Helvetica Neue, Arial, sans-serif]Clarity is like using the contrast slide in the shadows and highlights tool is it not?

[/FONT]

Bonedog

im struggling to understand what youre getting at, i currently working through what youve said in photoshop and the negative value of the clarity in lightroom, bringing it down -100, you get the same effect as using dust & scratches in PS and simply a negative clarity it blur made a screencap to show you what i mean

Untitled-2.jpg

i dont know if this is any help but as you can see (you may have to click on the screencap) its pretty much the same effect

LDMartin1959

im struggling to understand what youre getting at, i currently working through what youve said in photoshop and the negative value of the clarity in lightroom, bringing it down -100, you get the same effect as using dust & scratches in PS and simply a negative clarity it blur made a screencap to show you what i mean

i dont know if this is any help but as you can see (you may have to click on the screencap) its pretty much the same effect
It does appear to be nearly identical, doesn't it. Sorry for my being dense. I had never seen "dust and scratches" reference in this manner, and the only thing I'd heard about it was for...well, dealing with "dust and scratches" so I had no context for your initial response. But I think you've nailed it for me. Thank you.