What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easiest way to clip

Rollk1

Hey all. I work in the fashion industry and have recently been asked to start clipping clothing shots that are on a white background.

example: 04_popup.jpg

What's the easiest way to go about this? Select tool, pen tool, mask? The back ground should be mostly white, with maybe a few shadows depending.

Thanks!

Easiest or best ? Pen tool will give you the best, but it will take a bit of practice. Magic tool will pick all the white...even the label

I prefer the quick select myself to the wand that is. Either can leave a halo, so use the select>modify>expand or use refine selection. Expand by a pixel or two depending on the size of the image (assuming you select the BG; if you select the dress, contract). You might need more. When I have made the selection, I zoom in to check the edges, adding or subtracting with the quick select tool to get a closer fit. Then the other actions will help.

Or you can make the selection of either the dress or the BG and then mask off the dress and use refine mask.

As said before, the pen tool is the best as you can trace it just inside the outside line and get a beautiful selection. But it does take some practice. With the amount of selections you need to make, you'll get to be a pen tool pro.

I personally think that if the images all have a solid white background then learning to do a channel based selection would be faster then tracing every little fold in an article of clothing.

The rose background was added so you can see the edge more clearly.
1.jpg
This selection methold takes alittle pracetice but can give really quick results on the right image.

Here is a nice tut on how do this.
http://infiniteskills.com/blog/2012/08/adobe-photoshop-cs6-tutorial-channel-selection/

Every image is different there is no right way or wrong way Or Better way the way that counts most is the way that you are most comfortable with IMO

I use the Pen Tool and Channel selection. There's really no substitute for channel selection. Here's another great TUTORIAL on it!

if you have multiple images with same nice background and clear edges I would have to go for the blend if option.
Unlock background layer create a new layer under it either transparant or whatever colour you want. right click your clothing layer and select blending options towards the bottom you will see 2 sliders move the white 1 inwards slightly and presto your done background is done. Takes roughly 10 seconds per image, Time is money however this will not work so easily on every image and if the job requires greater attention then do so.
test.PNG

Back