What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Esata External HD vs USB3 External HD for Photoshop/Lightroom Catalog????

nwickliff

Hello all I'm very new here and this is my first post. Thanks in advance to your help! I just purchased a new Laptop which has both Esata and USB3 ports. I have 2TB drive I would like to use as my Lightroom Catalog. I know Esata is faster and would like to use it but the need for power is killing the portability.

• My Esata is duel usb as well. That means I can power an external 2.5 drive right? Can it power a 3.5 drive?
  • I also have a 2.5 usb3 drive. Very small and portable. Will I notice a substantial performance hit using the usb3 drive vs the Sata drive.
  • When I use either external drive does Photoshop save the file into a temp file on my Internal HD, therefore not making a big difference between which drive Photoshop or Lightroom Grabs the original file from?
  • Should I trade my External USB3 Drive in for a 2.5 Esata Drive?

Thanks for all your help!

Back