What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Event Horizon

Very cool! Love the color choices.

I'm seeing it as a macro shot of a space flower. I think that might be a little beak in the center that will nibble off the nose of anyone foolhardy enough to sniff at it. Blimey. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight thinking about this now.

Very cool! Love the color choices.

Thanks! I am glad my choice was a good one.

i like it and i think i might even use it for a while

Thanks. That is music to my ears.

I'm seeing it as a macro shot of a space flower. I think that might be a little beak in the center that will nibble off the nose of anyone foolhardy enough to sniff at it. Blimey. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight thinking about this now.

Holy crappage, that's deep. And a heck of a compliment, too.

It's also a good image from a compositional point of view. The very bright spot is perhaps very central, but is above the centre line on the upper third. You have that dark lead in line from the lower left corner, along with those light tone striations curving nicely towards what is the clear focal point of the image. The same applies to the beak in that it is an oval that points to the bright focal point. A little further out above and right, are those darker tones which contain the eye, even moving the eye in a counter-clockwise arc to the smoke like texture that pulls the eye once more to the focal point.

Could it be better? I don't know. Maybe if the right side of the image beyond the beak was compressed with Contact Aware Scale, but I don't find that central position of the focal point a problem. Rules are not to be followed blindly after all.

A little story... I almost never enter competitions nowadays because too many judges drive crazy. A few years ago I made an abstract out of three images as a kind of wind up of competition judges. I called it 'Black Birch & Vines Perspective' because that's what the component image elements were. The joke came back to bit me because it turned out to be the second most successful image I've put into competitions. :cry:

Black Birch & Vines Perspective.jpg

[EDIT] BTW Most competitions state that at least two thirds of the image must originate from a photograph, and that pure computer generated images are not allowed. You could still enter your image as an abstract if you did something like but a leaf texture behind it. I bet it would do OK.

Last edited:
Trevor, interesting take. I will say that the image is chaos, which by its very nature refuses to adhere to rules. The small flare and line are meant to bring some form to the image. You might be surprised how much those minor additions change the overall feeling of the picture.

I'm not sure what to think about your picture. I like the fact that your vanishing point travels off to the side, which exudes great perspective. The vertically blurred lines are giving me some trouble. Are you using an embossing tool on the verticals?

The vertical lines are made from two images both of which use camera movement with a slow shutter speed. The top of the picture is a stand of black birch, and this used the top part of the image with the sky behind it. I can't remember what the bottom blurred lines are, but the more solid line on the right third is pure Photoshop, but I tend to use shading more than bevel & emboss. The perspective used the same shot twice with exaggerated perspective via Free Transform. I couldn't get the density with one frame.

I tried to track down the frames I used, but flickr is so slow it's unusable for me nowadays. Great shame because I used to like flickr, but it is totally pants now.

The vertical lines are made from two images both of which use camera movement with a slow shutter speed. The top of the picture is a stand of black birch, and this used the top part of the image with the sky behind it. I can't remember what the bottom blurred lines are, but the more solid line on the right third is pure Photoshop, but I tend to use shading more than bevel & emboss. The perspective used the same shot twice with exaggerated perspective via Free Transform. I couldn't get the density with one frame.

I tried to track down the frames I used, but flickr is so slow it's unusable for me nowadays. Great shame because I used to like flickr, but it is totally pants now.

Thanks for information.

I think it looks pretty nice...hope to learn how to do that kind of thing w/ PS soon!

Thank you. It really isn't difficult once you learn most of the basic features.

Back