What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filling a stroke with an image

Kye

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I hope this is the right place to ask "how do I " questions. I've tried googling, but perhaps I'm not hitting on the right search words.

I am trying to make a stroke, in this case of a triangle using the polygon tool, with a white "stroke line" and a transparent inner, ie no solid inside colour. I then want to fill the outline of the triangle with an image. I've found a tutorial to do a similar thing with text in illustrator, but the stroke itself seems to be different. If it were anything else I would select the area, and use the stamp tool, but I can't seem to select the area of the line section of the stroke.

Can any one suggest ways to do this?
I'm trying to re-create the image below, with different line fillers.
Thanks.

Attachments

• triangle.JPG
    triangle.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 4
Make your triangle the way you're used to, with the pen tool, polygon tool or with the shape tool.
Untitled-1.jpg

in this case flip it vertically
Untitled-2.jpg

choose the texture picture and drag it on top and position it the way you want to cover the whole triangle
Untitled-3.jpg

make the triangle selection active by holding CTRL and clicking on the thumbnail (you'll see the 'marching ants')
Untitled-4.jpg

make the texture layer active and add a layer mask
Untitled-5.jpg

You can adapt the width of the stroke at choice and the texture also

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:
Another technique is to use a clipping mask.

Open the cool graphic in Ps and name it image layer.
Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 8.06.38 AM.png

Turn off the Image layer.
Open a new layer and move it below the image layer.
Fill with white. Name this layer background layer.

Open a new layer and move it below the image layer.
Choose the Polygon Tool and set the sides for 3.
Create one Polygon Triangle.
Create the second Polygon Triangle and choose "Subtract front shape" from the path operations.
Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 8.04.50 AM.png

Turn the image layer back on. Highlight the image layer.
Right click the image layer and select create clipping mask or hover your cursor between the two layers while holding down the alt/option key, you will see the cursor turn into a box with a black angled arrow pointing down, then click.
Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 8.17.15 AM.png

Layers panel.
Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 8.05.09 AM.png

Back