What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filling Text with image

EditCubit

I've seen plenty of people do it and watched videos on how but it seems to not be working..

I have a font called Jennas Popsicles I think.. I'm making a party invitation for my nephew's birthday. I need to fill the inside of the popsicles with candy when I clip the mask layer it outlines the letters with the image (giving it a colorful outline) but doesn't fill the inside of the text. I figured maybe the inside of the text was solid so I placed a red layer under it and the red layer is seen through the middle (text isn't solid in the center) so why can I not get the candy image to fill the inside of the text?

I agree with Gene, at least post the PSD file or screenshots.

Since the font is not solid, you will have to create a solid color layer in the shape of the font (excluding the sticks) and then clip your images to that.
You would need to do the same for the sticks if you want them to be a different color than the background.

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 9.47.25 AM.png

Font Shape
Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 9.49.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 9.53.19 AM.png

Black type (font) with sticks filled as well.
Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 11.15.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 11.16.08 PM.png

It sounds like the mask is your problem. You need to clip the image layer to the text layer.

Screenshot 2021-01-18 083402.jpg

As an alternative approach so you can use your original technique, use a solid font.
Here is one with Birthday Candles that would work in the way your were attempting
Candle Birthday Font
Just another path to consider
John Wheeler

Oh, guys sorry late reply. Thanks for all the answers! I appreciate it all. I kinda figured it out after a couple of hours trying different options. I used the Magic Wand selection toolset to contiguous and select the area outside of the text. Then I reversed the selection and used it to cut out the image I wanted to use as fill.