What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free lance work...

Might i suggest we go about this a bit differently? Maybe we could have the client pay first... I know of several software and coding websites that do it this way and it works out every time and both party's are happy.

What they do is, the client pays upfront what they are willing to pay and the coders will check it and see if they are willing to do it for the price. I dunno, just a suggestion...

thats a tough call, for any forum,glad I don't have to make it.

It would be pretty easy to do tho, setup a paypal account, then the people needing work done simply post what they are willing to pay and when the money is in the account then the designers could go to work... I know it probably seems like more work piled on to all we have going on right now tho... O well, it was just a suggestion :)

It's kind of catch 22, on one hand you want to do the best job you can to get the job but on the other hand you don't want to sit and get into detail with it in case the client just splits on ya.

Well this is the internet, there's almost always a Catch-22 with any kind of deal or decision made with it concerning any kinds of trades, whether it be with money or other forms of trade. But I believe that it is a good suggestion, because a set price could be established and if the work is relative to the pay, many could be motivated to do it. However as you said, the payer could just drop out with the money and you just spent the last however long you worked on it for nothing.

Noone's going to pay for an end result or product they cannot see.. I wouldn't do it, I wouldn't expect anyone else to do it either. Though I understand where you're coming from.

Actually, millions of people pay for an end result they can not see, it happens every day.... It's just like anything else, peoples opinions will vary...

Actually we have plans to dramatically change (improve) the freelance system here, but it's still a ways off into the future because we have other things that are getting done first. Right now most of our focus is on remaking the front end of the website (outside the forum) which is nearly done (but not visible yet) and then we will be filling the new design with quality content. Once that is well underway we will begin looking at details of the new freelance system.

I'll post more information about it later, but meanwhile we would still like to hear your ideas on what would make the best system.

It might use an escrow system which would be a good compromise between prepaid and the current form.

Actually, millions of people pay for an end result they can not see, it happens every day.... It's just like anything else, peoples opinions will vary...

IDK about you but only when I'm feeling adventurous and ordering from a chinese take out menu do I sign my name to something I haven't seen or tried. Honestly this is why there are so many magazines,tv shows and internet forums focused on reviews...reviews of cars, pcs, restaurants... people need to feel comfortable knowing that what they are going to receive in return for their money is quality. And let's face it, photoshop user's are at a variety of skill levels here and paying just anyone on this site to do something just will not cut it sometimes. Anybody can throw a layer mask on a photo and place it on top of another photo.. This doesn't qualify you or your services as being professional though. Alls' I'm sayin.

@Gaus, thanks for the heads up^!!

@Tricky, don't get me wrong i know exactly what your saying. I guess it would boil down to reputation and things of that nature. The only bad part about what i suggested is there would have to be a mediator. Like i said, there are several websites that offer the same type of service i suggested and they do pretty well there. It's based on an Escrow system like Gaus mentioned and it works very efficiently.

@Gaus, thanks for the heads up^!!

@Tricky, don't get me wrong i know exactly what your saying. I guess it would boil down to reputation and things of that nature. The only bad part about what i suggested is there would have to be a mediator. Like i said, there are several websites that offer the same type of service i suggested and they do pretty well there. It's based on an Escrow system like Gaus mentioned and it works very efficiently.

The Escrow thing from what I've read doesn't sound like a bad idea..

tough call here. If PsG puts there reputation behind a freelancer and they(the service provider) screws up PsG gets the mud . If they are going to do that I suggest everyone that PsG backs up as a GuRu takes a test before they deem them qualified to even summit a bid for anything.just an idea.....

That's the beauty of it, on other sites with a similar type of system, if they screw up then they don't get paid and the job would go to the next person. go here and look around and you'll see what i mean... This site has been offering this service for a long time, i used to employ there, i did work in VB, there system works pretty dam good if you ask me, they been at it for years and are only growing more and more everyday...

How it Works (for Employers)

Of course like Gauss said, it would take some serious work but they already plan on doing that here in the future anyways...

@Gaus, setting up a system like that here wouldn't be as hard as one would think. There are several MOD's you could use to achieve the same goal.. Good to see everyone replying and sharing there opinion, we are forming a nice little community here!!

Well, the Internet is almost always a Catch-22 with any kind of agreement or a decision with her in all sorts of trades, either with money or other forms of commerce. But I think it's a good suggestion, as a fixed price can be established and if the work is on compensation, many would be encouraged to do so. However, as you said, the debtor could only come up with the money and just spend the last, if it worked at all.

People pay for end results they can't see when they have total confidence in the end result. Certain tattoo artists like paul booth etc. don't even tell you what kind of tattoo you're getting. You give him a theme and he just goes to town with his own idea. He get's thousands for each tattoo. If you don't know the person like maybe over a forum somebody agrees to do work for you, I can see wanting to see finished product first.

Back