What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

getting dashed lines to follow a shape properly in photoshop cs4 extended

bsj94

Hello!

Unfortunately, I don't have the newer PS with the fancy drop down menu for stroking an object with a solid, dashed, or circle stroke.
With that being said, I'm trying to put a dashed stroke on an octagon shape and have the dashed lines follow the right direction of each side.
The top and the bottom are fine just the sides are not and I'm encountering this problem with any shape for just dashed lines.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So I start off by making a new layer then I go down and select the polygon tool making sure it's set to paths so I just get the outline of the object.
I then right click > stroke and nothing in my brush boxes are checked and the dashed lines don't follow the object other than the straight horizontal lines?
how can I make all of the sides follow?

example:

Screenshot_12.png

VS what I was trying to achieve:
k8XBoGEI_400x400.png
The dashed lines of this image follow the shape where as mine are turned.
This person likely has the newer photoshop so I'm just wondering if there is a way to achieve this in photoshop cs4 extended?

Under brush shape dynamics set Angle Jitter Control to Direction in the drop-down.

I used Dual Brush to simulate dashed strokes.
Choose some round brush as a main brush, set it's spacing to 1%
Now check the Dual Brush option in the Brushs pallete, choose some round brush for it the same size as the main brush or bigger.
Set some big spacing for Dual Brush, see the preview to get the look that you want.

I used Dual Brush to simulate dashed strokes.
Choose some round brush as a main brush, set it's spacing to 1%
Now check the Dual Brush option in the Brushs pallete, choose some round brush for it the same size as the main brush or bigger.
Set some big spacing for Dual Brush, see the preview to get the look that you want.

this actually helped me so much? the square brushes I was using weren't coming out very clear, so thank you!

Back