What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gradient effect

Nepcchi

How to make a gradient effect that doesn't go over the whole canvas?

I'm trying to re-create this exact effect. The canvas is 1800x29px but I can't figure out how to do it so that the gradient fades out near the ends like that.

8953eef24094e4b426c27956369635d7872c7036.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There are of course many ways to accomplish this in Ps.........here's one way using two methods.

Create the boundary. Use whatever method you prefer. Here I have just used a simple rectangular selection across the "canvas"

Open your Gradient Tool. Set Color. Set the gradient (in the gradient editor) to Foreground to Transparent. On it's own layer create a gradient holding down the shift key. You can make multiple passes.
OR
Open your Brush Tool, set to (approximately) Hardness: 0%, Flow: 10%
On it's own layer, create a brush stroke in the color you desire the full length and height above boundary selection by holding down the shift key, clicking and then dragging from one side to the other.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 7.55.21 AM.png

Add a layer mask to either the gradient layer or the brush stroke layer. Open the Brush Tool. Set the brush to black, brush out/down the ends. This may take several tries and brush setting changes. Start with what's listed above.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 7.58.17 AM.png

Try both methods. I tend to get better and more accurate results with the Brush Tool method.

JeffK

Guru
Playing with this, I found you can also use a reflected gradient rather than a linear gradient:

Set up your gradient tool with the color you want and how you want it to fade out at the end.
Then on a transparent layer, draw your gradient from the center out using the reflected gradient setting. The gradient will be reflected on the opposite space
Then you can apply a mask and soften the bottom or the ends

orange edited 3.png

Reflected gradient tool:

1626453681894.png

My working space - the blue line is a guideline showing center of document, the arrow on the layers panel points to the mask, the arrow on the tools panel points to the gradient tool:

1626453917279.png