What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halftoning troubles

Hey folks,
I've been working on my final college art project for the past couple of months, I've chosen to re-create Madonna's 'Celebration' cover art, originally created by street artist Mr. Brainwash.
74701944.jpg

However, I'm finding it really difficult to re-create the shapes used in picture.
51460986.jpg

75438566.jpg

50559413.jpg

I figured it was some form of half-toning, and I tried countless ways in Photoshop with no success, the only halftoning options I could find were ones that only created circles, not more intricate patterns like the ones used here.

I'm totally out of ideas right now, and I'd really appreciate any help you could give me.

Last edited:
HI Scott Ciccone Hamilton

I've been trying to recreate that effect and this is what i got so far.

madonna effect_angelina.jpg

Instead if the half tone inbuilt filter in photoshop i used this free tool RASTER which is a tool for creating halftone images but whit a more detailed structure circles,squares, etc.

After edited the extra dots an some other stuff no needed, Then i applied another filter in photoshop FILTERS> BRUSH STROKES >ACCENTED EDGES this filter will get your DOTS to connect or "melted" like, giving you the illusion of tiny interconnected dots,

added some new layers whit color "color, linear burn" blending.

Added grunge old paper texture "overlay" and "multiply whit low opacity"

* Optional step: paint splatters text, effects could be added as the image you posted.

and last step used another PS filter FILTER> ARTISTIC> WATER COLOR this filter will accentuate a little more the doted details in the picture

It could have another small details in matter of color correction but is up to your preferences.

The picture below is the original.

angelina-jolie-strawberry_00.jpg

Hopefully this will help in some way on your project

Good Luck.

HI Scott Ciccone Hamilton

Hopefully this will help in some way on your project

Good Luck.

Thank you very much for your detailed post! I've just tried Raster but I'm having trouble saving/copying the image file over into Photoshop, it doesn't recognize it, and Paint says there isn't even anything in my clipboard.

How did you manage to save it?

Thank you again! This is the closest I've gotten so far.

Hi Scott Ciccone Hamilton

This is really weird.

When load image to raster and then hit the trace button, it will process the image, the hit the "Copy2ClpBrd" button, that's it in raster.

then go to photoshop, create a new document don't bother setting up size or resolution, cause the new document will "inherit" the size and resolution of the image in your Clipboard memory.

When creating new document just hit OK and then just "paste" the image in you clipboard and that will be it, now you can continue working on your brand new half_toned image.

Hi Scott Ciccone Hamilton

This is really weird.

When load image to raster and then hit the trace button, it will process the image, the hit the "Copy2ClpBrd" button, that's it in raster.

then go to photoshop, create a new document don't bother setting up size or resolution, cause the new document will "inherit" the size and resolution of the image in your Clipboard memory.

When creating new document just hit OK and then just "paste" the image in you clipboard and that will be it, now you can continue working on your brand new half_toned image.

I just got it to work! And I was up all night altering and playing with things, and I finally managed to do it! It still needs some altering, but yay!

picture3mbi.png

Thank you so much, I can't tell you how grateful I am! :)