What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having a problem with slicing tool

Do you know where I can find a good video tutorial on manipulating sprites in PS? I can't seem to find a good one.
This depends on what you mean by manipulating? Please be more specific. Just because they're sprites, they don't require any special treatment. You work with them one layer at a time just as you would with any other image.

If you have a sprite like this guy who is jumping down. This is four separate frames.
Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 9.55.55 PM.png

I would then make one hat, duplicate it 3 times and move it with the Move Tool and Free Transform so that it fit my sprite in all 4 frames.
Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 9.56.14 PM.png

Layers panel.
Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 9.56.30 PM.png

Once done, I could then leave the sprite frame and the hat frame as is or I could group, or merge them. This will depend on how I plan to use them.

This depends on what you mean by manipulating? Please be more specific. Just because they're sprites, they don't require any special treatment. You work with them one layer at a time just as you would with any other image.
I'm looking for a video tutorial that will show me a variety of modifications, such as changing parts of the body, adding things to the figure, changing colors, etc.

Those are about making sprites from scratch or don't cover much. I'm looking for a video I could use that would demonstrate a bunch of different ways you could customize and modify found sprites, so I don't have to demonstrate it all myself.
You will probably not find a specific video for this on sprites. Modifying is about making and transforming selections. Everything you need to know about sprites should be on that link I provided.

You're probably right.
But if you can use the paint bucket to color multiple frames at once, it seems like you should be able to do some kind of mirroring where if you draw a hat on one frame, all frames for that sprite will get hats as well (simultaneously).

it seems like you should be able to do some kind of mirroring where if you draw a hat on one frame, all frames for that sprite will get hats as well (simultaneously).
It would seem like it....right? I would have to experiment with some smart objects to see if it's possible. Edit: Sorry hit the post button too soon. I seriously doubt that anything will actually work for adding the hat. Remember, a hat is an addition to each frame and not a color change. Each sprite is in a different position so it will have to be done by hand one frame at a time..........like editing video.

Back