What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello!

PBurke

Good morning! I am a new member and have only been using Photoshop for a short time. One thing I came across recently is that I needed to use the select tool to crop and move a section of an image. I then tried to use the clone stamp tool to soften some of the edges around the cropping, but when I did, the whole image turned black (almost like the negative of the image). Is there a way to have this not happen?

Anyway, thanks for your help and I look forward to joining the forum.
Pat

Welcome! Without seeing your images and layers its hard to say whats happening.

But to take a shot in dark, I'd say....If all you want to do is "Soften" the edges use the "Blur Tool" which is right above the dodge and burn tool.

As for your clone stamp issue, I would check your blend mode which is in the top menu bar. Maybe thats set to "difference" instead of normal.

Here is what I am seeing. The image appears normal, but when I press Alt and click on the section i would like to clone, it displays like this. As you can see, the clone tool is set to normal. Let me know if this helps. Thank you for the response!

Photoshop Error_12.17.gif

Attachments

• Photoshop Error_12.17.gif
    Photoshop Error_12.17.gif
    637.5 KB · Views: 7
Hmmmm, are you doing this on the same layer? Or are you doing it on a blank layer?

The clone tool looks like it must be cloning the whole image?

I did it at first on the same layer, but attempted to do it again on a duplicate layer. Each time though, I did it with a blank layer behind.

......Sent you a pm....

Why, is there a super secret fix for this problem that can't be shared?

Actually, after checking on a new image, this appears to be happening to all images when I try to clone, regardless of which layers I work on. The clone tool still says it is in normal mode ...

I have resolved the issue. There was a default overlay on this computer. Thanks everyone for their posts and responses!

......Sent you a pm....

Why, is there a super secret fix for this problem that can't be shared?
:thumbsup: Haha no, I was going to offer remote assistance since its hard to figure out whats wrong without being able to physical see it. But he figured it out.

I have resolved the issue. There was a default overlay on this computer. Thanks everyone for their posts and responses!
That just affected the clone stamp? Thats weird! Where did you find that?

The default overlay, as seen here...

Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 9.31.03 AM.png

Should only affect the tool...........I'm lost.

sacrmack said:
Haha no, I was going to offer remote assistance since its hard to figure out whats wrong without being able to physical see it. But he figured it out.

Gotcha! :thumbsup:

Not sure how he figured it out though.

Isn't looking for trouble offering remote assistance to a new member or even excepting remote assistance from a new member?

Last edited:
Nothing super secret, but when I clicked on "Clone Source" (which was on the right side tool bar on my computer), I noticed that "Show overlay" was selected, with "Difference" as the drop down option. I changed the drop down to "Normal" and it fixed the issue. Everything works properly now!

Back