What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help a newbie out adding tiger print to pre-esixting text how do I do it?

hello, here is a nice way to achieve this:

1,make a selection from the letters (this is important to be precise another way the final image may look crappy but no worries as quick selection tool or magic selection tool (press W) will do the work fine)
2,right click on the selection and click "Layer via copy"-->now a new layer will appear on the layer palette containing just your letters without the white background
2,get an image with tiger print and place it on a layer above your new text's layer
3,right click on the tiger print layer and choose create clipping mask

if you have done everything right, the text gets the print. if you wanna make some changes, you can move the print layer in the text.

Last edited:
So far so good I decided I'd just mock up all my designs myself I've got about 100+ instead of letting a friend or graphic designer do it and by the time I'm done with most of them I'll be pretty well verse in my niche area of photoshop besides there not really hard anyway.

When you say place it on a layer above your text's layer am I just suppose to create a new layer and open the file in it?

When you say place it on a layer above your text's layer am I just suppose to create a new layer and open the file in it?

drag your print into photoshop. now you are in your tiger print document. from the layer palette click on "background" layer and drag to your original document. that will copy the layer.

or:

open tiger print image. also the original document with the text should be opened. now in the tiger print image right click on the "background" and "duplicate layer". then a window pops up and under the "destination" choose your another document.

drag your print into photoshop. now you are in your tiger print document. from the layer palette click on "background" layer and drag to your original document. that will copy the layer.

or:

open tiger print image. also the original document with the text should be opened. now in the tiger print image right click on the "background" and "duplicate layer". then a window pops up and under the "destination" choose your another document.

I just dragged the tiger print image to a new layer and it did some weird sizing/border thing first I fit it to the square got it to work.....but how do I move the print layer around in the text?

they should be in one document. print layer should be exactly above the text layer on the layer palette. then "right click on the tiger print layer and choose create clipping mask" as i wrote. then move the print on the text and voila.

u will do a basic masking process like described for example here: Creating and Using Photoshop's Clipping Masks

they should be in one document. print layer should be exactly above the text layer on the layer palette. then "right click on the tiger print layer and choose create clipping mask" as i wrote. then move the print on the text and voila.

u will do a basic masking process like described for example here: Creating and Using Photoshop's Clipping Masks

I got that I'm saying how do I move the tiger print around within the logo itself to show certain parts. Like here's a hypothetical just to paint a picture of what I'm trying to get at. If the middle of the tiger print was red and the left side was blue and only the red was showing up in the logo would I be able to drag the picture around itself inside the logo say to the left until a bit of blue was showing or all blue obviously the print is all one color (black and orange) but hopefully you get what I mean.

yeah you certainly can do it while standing on your print layer press V and move the tiger print wherever you want: )

Back