What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help creating a photoshop action to batch resize

luminous

I'm sure this question must have been asked before, but I am having issues sorting the wheat from the chaff.

I have a bunch of images that are in .png format. I would like to resize these to a max of 200x200, with the image being kept in proportion. So a 400x200 image would go to 200x100.

I am using the alpha channel for transparency, so all these jpg tools that I have come across just don't work for this purpose :(

Anyone have some tips, a guide, or even a different program? Currently I am using Adobe CS5 Suite.

Question:
Are they all similar orientation to start off with?

If so...have image open, open actions palette and hit record new action. Resize image to 200 pixels wide with height locked proportionately. Hit save and then close. Hit stop on actions palette. Assign that action a hot key like F5.

Now open all or a bunch of images and start hittin F5...

Annoyingly, no. The images can be in any orientation, and are also any size before the resize is performed.

My previous CMS had an interface where you just uploaded the picture you wanted to use and it would do the resizing for you. It would keep the proportions of the images and ensure that either the max height or max width was however many pixels you needed.

Now I just need the worlds best image editor to be able to do the same!! :redface:

So you need to have the largest dimension either height or width resized to 200px and the other dimension fall wherever it falls.
Is that right?

I don't see how.
An action is specific and will do the same thing over and over.
You can put a pause in the action for user input but you need to sit there and enter the correct numbers.

Maybe a script??
I don't know, I know nothing about scripting for PS.

Yes, you are spot on. I too do not know how to do it automatically either. I will keep looking for a solution because I am forever having to do this with reasonably large quantities of images.

So you need to have the largest dimension either height or width resized to 200px and the other dimension fall wherever it falls.
Is that right?

I don't see how.
An action is specific and will do the same thing over and over.
You can put a pause in the action for user input but you need to sit there and enter the correct numbers.

Maybe a script??
I don't know, I know nothing about scripting for PS.

Thank you all for your help :)

I never knew Photoshop had a fit image function, I guess this is the way to go - although I have not tried it yet.

What I did find in the meantime is something that does it all for you :)

A program called Faststone Image Resizer (free):

In the advanced options there is an option to resize by "long side" (among many others). This allows you to set the longest side for an image (height or width), and it will then batch resize yours images into any format you want, while also keeping the alpha channel.

This in combination with the "fit image" option in Photoshop should hopefully solve anybody else's issues when they search this topic out :D

EDIT: it would appear that I have too few posts to post links, so you will have to Google Faststone and select the image resizer product they offer if you want it.

Back