What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed, I was asked to design for can drink, what should i focus on?

BrennanH

Hi all members,

I was asked to design a layout for can drink to be printed for production, and this is my very first time of doing this, I've had no experience in designing a can drink (aluminium can), so what aspects should I be caution or focus on, is there any other guidelines? I tried google, but all I can find is the tutorial of designing, but I need to know what things to be considered when designing for a can drink going for production, such as the real practicality of printing in CMYK.

Some doubts:
1. Should i use monotone for every vector, or can I apply gradient effects on the vectors? can I use other effects as well, such as outer glow, blur etc which probably requires toning and gradual change of colour from dark to light?

2. I was instructed not to use more than 8 pantone colours (Max: 8 colours), so how am I going to count gradient colours? As one, or many colours?

3. I was given a few images to be inserted in the design, but the images are in high dpi captured photos of real things, should I flattened the colours and convert it into vectors?
-For example, I got an image of high resolution of strawberries, if I didnt flatten the colours, can the image be printed on the can drink nicely and accordingly?

4. If I use pen tools to draw in Photoshop, then colour it, does that considered as vectors, or must I draw in Adobe Illustrator in order to create vectors?

5. I know Adobe Illustrator is used for creating vector, but I dont have the software and experience in using it, can Photoshop does that?

6. I have read that contamination may occur, I wonder how to avoid contamination of colours? What design or arrangement of graphics causing that actually? Is it like overlapping two colours? with different transparency value?

7. Lastly, after non-stop googling and reading, I finally found the term that I'm looking for "Tint", I guess it is the solution to replace gradient, whereby "Tint" toning is determined by the density of spotted colour. To be gradually fade into lighter colour, the radius of spotted colour will become smaller, thus creating lighter colour in general look but not using gradient, I want to create that effect in Photoshop, but I only know the "ColourHalftone" effect. I shall post a photo on this as I cant find the design I saw last time.

Sorry to post such a long winded question, I am just hoping to clarify my situation here. I'm just a student and it's kinda urgent to finish this design, thanks all for the attention and the time.

P/S: I probably use the wrong term in explaining my question, my bad, just in case you dont understand, please ask, I would really need more advices and opinions. Thanks!

For example, below this is somewhat the effect I wish to achieve even though the spotted colour is in rectangular shape. I need the effect to be spotted round. is that can be achieved through colour halftone?

DSC00430a.jpg

My honest advice is, since you don't have a clue to where to begin or even have the correct software, you should tell the client. You'll be wasting their time if you don't.

You cannot use gradients as that'll result in millions of colours. If this is for printing on the metal can, you'll need to use a bitmap image and reference your Pantones - remember, even if you're not using Black in the design, you'll still have to substitute a colour for it and instead reference Black as your chosen colour.

You should not use outer glow style effects unless you're confident you can fade them well as a halftone bitmap.

Make sure when using tools like Text, Pen and Selection, you have anti-aliasing switched off.

I feel telling you all that was pointless, but oh well, I'm available for hire.

My honest advice is, since you don't have a clue to where to begin or even have the correct software, you should tell the client. You'll be wasting their time if you don't.

Hi hawkeye guru, I am actually not a design student, I did my self-learning on photoshop through references in internet, have been designing for own enjoyment and some shirt designing for college's activities, but never before to do a can design, that is why I am quite lost here. That is not for my client, I am not doing a designing service or anything similar, it's a submission for the final entry of a competition in my area. Somehow my ladyluck got me into the 20 finalists through collage designing (1st stage of designing). Now, the judges asked for a can design in which I've no practical experience before and they seemed looking forward to a more professional design rather than the amateur ones. Eventhough I've no experience, I would want to challenge that, be it for my learning experience or for the cash prize, I am hoping to get some feedbacks from the members in this forum, I am open to anyone to enlighten me on this matter, any opinions are mostly welcomed. =)

Thanks a lot for your reply, I actually very delighted to see replies here as I've been waiting eargerly since yesterday. Do enlighten me please if you have any comments. ^_^

You cannot use gradients as that'll result in millions of colours. If this is for printing on the metal can, you'll need to use a bitmap image and reference your Pantones - remember, even if you're not using Black in the design, you'll still have to substitute a colour for it and instead reference Black as your chosen colour.

You should not use outer glow style effects unless you're confident you can fade them well as a halftone bitmap.

Make sure when using tools like Text, Pen and Selection, you have anti-aliasing switched off.

Hi Adam McIntyre, thank you so much for your help!!! Shall reply you soon, was typing in the library until sudden black out O_O, my replies and quotings were all gone, shall off to class now. Thanks a bunch mate!!

Noted, but they asked for JPEG form for submission. Is that applicable?
I was instructed to limit the Pantone colour to max of 8 colours, does CMYK itself counted as 4 colours? I should be designing in CMYK mode right as I've read that printing is done in CMYK?

Another thing is, I was provided with images that are high resolution. Those images are not in vector style but rather a crop of real image photos with lighting, gradients and toning. How am I supposed to count the colours?

I've also noticed that most can drink intend to use monotone colour for each vectors/objects in the design as it would be costly for printing if use too many colours. But, I did find that there are also many fruit/vegetable drinks using images in their design without converting into vector.

Can I assume that during production, there is a specific plated created for stamping the images i.e: chrysanthemum flower image (with lighting, toning and gradient), and the other plates are created and classified through colours? so the images considered as one colour as in one plate created?

Below is the example of chrysanthemum drinks I'm talking about:

Chrysanthemum Drink.jpg

Noticed the images of chrysanthemum flowers?

You should not use outer glow style effects unless you're confident you can fade
them well as a halftone bitmap.

Preview copy.jpg

Is this a glow? Is the light green spiral thing considered as toning which would cause colour contamination by mixing two colours? Or is it applicable to be printed on metal can? If possible, I would really like to use this effect on my design. Anyone know how to do this effect?

Make sure when using tools like Text, Pen and Selection, you have
anti-aliasing switched off.

Yeah understood, I've always use pen and selection, noticed this "anti-alias" checkbox quite a long time, but didnt bother to check upon it. Thanks for this great hint!! I've done some reading on this, starting to understand about it. I was wondering how to achieve sharp edges on design as real can design they have very clear cut edges and less jagged curves.

No, please dont feel that way, I am really willing to learn, and you are a great Guru!! I just need the formal term to search for information, then I can take off from there. You have enlightened me so much, seriously it feels like a big slap on my face (Sorry for knowing so less and shallowly) but I so happy!! Thank you very much for your reply! Should you have any comments or opinions, please dont hesitate to drop more as I'm so desperately in need of advices. T_T

But I'm afraid I cant be able to hire you, I am just a student, joining this competition at first coz it was fun and I learnt through this whole process. Moreover, I am really hoping to win this competition as the cash prize can help me to cover my tuition fees and expenses in other way. Eventhough I am not a graphic student, I still have this passion, that's why I am hoping to challenge myself while learning and also while looking forward for the prize.

Im still having some doubts, and I found all those photos I wanted, below are the effects that I mentioned in earlier post:

These spotted colours can it be done through colour halftone effect? If yes, how to achieve it? I tried many times, it seemed the gap between spotted colour is too wide. I need to create something more neat like below:

DSCF7176 copy.jpg

Coke Design a.jpg

Thank you so much for everyone who spend time in reading this long post. I need to be specific with details, it's kinda long, probably we share the same questions and we shall learn together! =)

Wow Vafann, thank you so much for providing this link for reference, it helps a lot!! I never tried searching by keyword of "Soda can", no wonder have not seen this before. Zillion thanks! ^_^

I've posted some questions with some photos decription above, if you have any ideas, just drop a reply, I would greatly appreciate it!

Wow Vafann, thank you so much for providing this link for reference, it helps a lot!! I never tried searching by keyword of "Soda can", no wonder have not seen this before. Zillion thanks! ^_^

I've posted some questions with some photos decription above, if you have any ideas, just drop a reply, I would greatly appreciate it!

:) here is something else that might help you with the halftones.

Halftones Pack – 55 Free Vectors, Brushes, and Images | Media Militia

If you want to make it realistic then you'll need to use a 3D program like 3Ds Max. Most drink adverts will use a 3D model then touch it up in Photoshop afterwards.

Photoshop 3D part can do that, you should have a look at that if you have CS 5 Extended version ;-)

Really? I thought you could only model simple things in Photoshop. I'll have to investigate later :)

Back