What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed on paths and shapes please

Hi, Gurus am a newbie to photoshop .recently migrated from other photo editing tools to photoshop. I need some help and clarifications .ill give my problem step by step. Kindly help me sort out the things. Thank you !!

1) I Took the new file with 1600 * 700 pixels and fill it with white background. - See the attached screenshot-1

ps_1.jpg

2) Then I selected curvature pen tool(Newly available in photoshop cc ) and draw a shape like in the screenshot attached - See the attached screenshot-2

ps_2.jpg

3)Problem is when I tried to fill in the shape I made with a color fill or trying to use the gradient tool it's not taking it. Instead, it's filling the entire canvas or document. Can you help me fix this issue and tell where I went wrong ?? - See the attached screenshot-3

ps_3.jpg

Hello and welcome.

When using the Curvature Pen Tool you are creating a path. You can only fill a path with color when you have a Shape Tool selected such as the Curvature Pen Tool. I can see by the screen shot you have the Bucket Tool selected and it can't fill a path.......it can only fill a selection.
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 11.27.31 PM.png
You would first have to turn your path into a selection before using the Bucket Tool.

If you have the Curvature Pen Tool selected and you have created a path as in your example, right click, then choose "Fill Path".
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 11.19.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 11.24.44 PM.png

You can also set you Curvature Pen Tool to shape and set the color on the options bar.
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 11.30.26 PM.png

If you want to use the Bucket Tool to fill in the color, with the Curvature Pen Tool still selected right click and choose "Make Selection". This will turn the path into a marching ant selection which you can now switch over to the Bucket Tool and add your color of choice.
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 11.23.55 PM.png

Selection
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 11.24.57 PM.png

Use Bucket Tool to fill selection. Hit Cmd/Cntrl + D to deselect.
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 11.25.20 PM.png

Hi likes_photoshop
As you can see, many ways to make it work. Here is one more

Using the Layers you had with the solid fill Layer selected, use the command
Layer > Vector Mask > Current Path
Done

It creates a Vector Mask using the path you have selected for that Layer.

Just one more option
John Wheeler

Back