What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help on how to do this ?

Hi AG and welcome to PSG.

There may be other ways to do this, but here's my take on the technique.
Note: the following is building layers one on top of the other....work from bottom up.

Open your subject image in Ps.

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 10.42.59 PM.png

Remove the BG and desaturate.

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 10.43.28 PM.png

Create a new layer.
Cmnd/Cntrl + Click the subject layers thumbnail to make a selection, fill that selection with black.
At this time, add a layer mask to this black silhouette layer by clicking the layer mask icon located at the bottom left side of the layers panel. We will come back to it in a moment.

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 10.44.13 PM.png

Now bring the BG scenery that you like and desaturate.

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 10.45.37 PM.png

Next create a clipping mask.
Highlight and then right click the scenery layer and select create clipping mask or hover your cursor between the scenery layer and the silhouette layer while holding down the alt/option key, you will see the cursor turn into a box with a black angled arrow pointing down, then click.

These two layers should look like this....

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 10.59.45 PM.png

and your canvas like this......

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 11.01.19 PM.png

(note: You can highlight the scenery layer and use the Move Tool to position the scenery anywhere you want it...you can do this at anytime)

Now add a new layer to the very bottom of the stack and fill with white.

The next part you will have to work out on your own through experimentation.
Highlight the layer mask we added to the silhouette layer.

Hit D on your keyboard to reset your foreground and background colors to Black and White.
Choose your Brush Tool and a large soft brush.
On the tools option bar set your Brush Tools opacity to about 20% and the fill to 1%.
Use the X key to switch back and forth between white and black.

Begin brushing on the layer mask until your satisfied with the outcome.
You can change the brush settings to add to or subtract from it's effect.

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 10.47.12 PM.png

Final layers in the layers panel.

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 10.46.48 PM.png

Good luck!

Last edited:
Sierra said:
They just covered this subject on Phlearn. This guy's tutorials are worth looking at anyway, so take a peek at some of the others on there.

Thanks Sierra, Plearn is great and I've been checking him daily for two years now. I was aware of this tutorial and while it's similar to the effect that was requested by the OP it's very different. That's not to say that it could not be adjusted to appear the same, but I was afraid that would become very hard to explain, confusing, and there was an easier way to accomplish the effect.

Sam, I'm the first to admit that the Phlearn tutorial overcomplicated this effect more than a little and I like your method better. :)

Back