What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help To Change a Colour But Keep Texture & Shading

JimmiOO

Hi Guys

I have been trying to do this for a while but getting nowhere fast,

I need to change the colour of a suit in an image, at the moment the colour is a shade of blue but i want to shane it to a mustard colour.

I have tried using the Hue Saturation colour displacement but no joy

Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this or indeed possible do it for me?

I have attached the image that needs changing

Attachments

• fox.jpg
    fox.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 4
Try the color replacement brush.

Mask the suit.........

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 8.48.20 AM.png

Add a Hue & Saturation LAYER, clip it to the layer of the masked suit. Tick COLORIZE and adjust the slider until you have the color you want.

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 8.52.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 8.48.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 8.50.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 8.44.04 AM.png

Last edited:
Sam just showed you how. Give it a try

Like most things Photoshop there are numerous ways to accomplish things. To get a mustard color, I added a levels adjustment layer first to lighten the dark suit, then a hue/sat adjustment layer set to colorize.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 6
Like most things Photoshop there are numerous ways to accomplish things. To get a mustard color, I added a levels adjustment layer first to lighten the dark suit, then a hue/sat adjustment layer set to colorize.

That is perfect, just what i was looking for, still none the wiser how to mask the suit though

Select the mask in the layers panel, then use a paint brush. Black conceals, white reveals.

ok guys still can't get it, anyway I've wasted enough of your time thanks for trying to help

Quick tip:

To mask off a part of an image, first duplicate the original layer; use a selection tool to isolate the jacket, then go to the bottom of the layers panel and click the mask layer icon.

Or, as hawkeye suggested, you can go to the second layer, add the mask first then use a black paintbrush to mask out everything but the jacket.

If you now add an adjustment, use the layer>adjustment and there will be a check box to add the adjustment to the previous layer only. Check that and it is clipped to the masked layer only; it will only affect only that layer.

This is one simple way to mask.

Open the image.
Duplicate the image. (command + J)
Turn off the original image.
Click the "add layer mask" icon located on the bottom of the layers panel.

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 4.41.04 PM copy.png

Also notice that the layer mask is surrounded by white brackets, this means it is what you will be working on. If the brackets are not there, just click on the layer mask once.

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 4.44.13 PM.png

Select the Brush Tool. Choose a hard round brush. You can adjust the size of the brush by using the right and left bracket keys on your keyboard.

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 4.42.33 PM copy.png

Hit D on your keyboard.
Make sure your foreground layer is black and your background layer is white.

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 4.51.47 PM copy.png

Again, with the layer masked layer highlighted and the layer mask in white brackets. Begin to paint on the Fox image anywhere you do not want to be affected by the adjustment layers! If you make a mistake........don't worry, hit the X key on your keyboard (this swaps your foreground and background colors) and paint back over the area! Hit the X key again and continue.

It should look like this.........accept you completely mask out the Fox and the background.

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 4.54.52 PM.png

Just add the adjustment layer and reverse the mask to black by hitting ctr+i, then paint with white to reveal the adjustment on the jacket. If you make a mistake, paint with black to correct.

if I know PSG a freebie will happen, be patient.

The force is weak today, the OP asked five posts back:rofl:

what can I say, I read slower than U:mrgreen:

Back