What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help understanding instructions

aceuk

Hi
Can anyone help me understand these instructions for making a DesktopX icon in Photoshop?
I have never used Photoshop before so it really needs to be explained in every detail (idiots guide).
I am using a DX theme called H2so4 by chadamus.
He has created a Generator for DesktopX Icons & Icon template.
They can be found at:-
H2so4 Icon Templates by `chadamus on deviantART
H2so4 DesktopX Icon Generator by `chadamus on deviantART
H2so4 DesktopX Icon Generator
This readme assumes that you already have open the Icon Template files from the H2so4-IconTemplate set.
In AdobePhotoshop:
**** Important! Load files in this order:
**** The Action will not work without this!
template.psd
template-over.psd
dxtemplate.psd
dxtemplate-over.psd
This action only uses the 48x48 icon template, so if you have the 72x72 open, you may minimize that, or close it. Select and copy the icon you wish to create into the clipboard.
Select the file TEMPLATE.PSD
**** Important! Do NOT Paste the clipboard into the image!
Select play on the action DX-TEMPLATE. The action will pause twice for you to enter a file name.
For the first file, this is the normal image.
Save it with a name for example: H2so4-DXIcon-ProgramX.bmp
For the second file, this is the mouseover image.
Save it with a name for example: H2so4-DXIcon-ProgramXOver.bmp
The files will reset themselves to their original state so it is easy to create multiple images in a row. Once you have created these images, clone an existing H2so4 DX Icon from within desktopX. Change the Object ID, and the Normal and Mouseover Images to the ones you have just created. Update your shortcut and ToolTip.
Export the newly saved file, and you are done!

Right I assume that loading the files is achived by double clicking on them and they appear in there own window within photoshop.
I get to "Select play on the action DX-TEMPLATE"
I then get a box appear with the command "Paste" is not currently available. It also has 2 buttons - Stop & Continue
I am I doing something wrong.

Thanx

Hi aceuk

The Readme file as you refer is pretty much self explanatory, i've run the action myself and it's nothing wrong whit it, it does what it supposed to do.

- Open the 4 PSd files
- go to the TEMPLATE.PSD

* This is the part, that i think you are getting lost in.

- open you icon image n a separate file, it could be any image as the readme file says "
but it has to be "48 * 48 px"

- Now i will like you to put attention on this step which is the crucial part, once you have the 48 * 48px image.
Selec the image and press "Crtl + C" to copy the image on the Clipboard and just leave it there, and don't paste it anywhere.

- now find and click or double click on the H2so4.atn " file, which is a Photoshop Action file"
in order to open it inside PS

- But nothing is gonna happen because you just loaded the action file into Photoshop.

- Now in the TEMPLATE.PSD go to the actions palette "If not opened, go to Window>Actions" once there find the DX Template action and run it by pressing the play button located on the bottom side of the palette

- Finally, after the action has ended, and the cycle is finished it will ask you for a location in which the file will be saved, select the destination folder and save your file.

hope this helps.

It seems the main problem is getting the icon copied to the clipboard.
what is the best why to do this. I have been putting the image into PS and then using the R.Marquee tool to highlight it then Edit/Copy.

This is what I have done.
Loaded the action file , then Icon48x48-ip (from icon templates folder)then as per readme load :-
template.psd
template-over.psd
dxtemplate.psd
dxtemplate-over.psd
Selected and copy the icon32x32 into the clipboard(see above)
Then finish as in readme.
End result
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa191/aceuk007/dxteseticon.jpg
As you can see not quite they yet.I think this is because the icon image I used is 32x32 square.If I somehow manage to just cut out the circle and apply that pic it might look the same.Do you know how I can do this. UPDATE - I now know how to do this but it does not make it look like they should.
I did get this message come up "The object "history state -4" is not currently available" What does it mean?

Last edited:

Back