What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My fiancé is starting a photography business and is editing more and more photos. I need help finding the hardware that would make this process easier for her. What I mean is what sort of mouse would be best for her, tablet pen, keyboard, items of that nature. Her computer runs fine, I’m looking more for the accessories that we could help her in this. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Tom Mann

Guru
Everyone has their own personal preferences on the items you mentioned, so I'm sure you will have no shortage of replies to your query.

However, there are three extremely important items that you didn't mention, each of which is arguably much more important than any of the items you mentioned.:

1. An top end, reasonable sized (ie, 24" or over) monitor designed for photo editing, eg, one of the pro quality NEC units from the last year or two, eg, this one. Do NOT skimp on this.

2. For a pro photographer, it is absolutely, utterly essential that the photographer has an independent and accurate way to regularly verify the calibration of their monitor. The above monitor comes bundled with a great hardware calibrator and corresponding software. I highly recommend it. If you get some other good, high end monitor (eg, an Eizo), there are several good choices for the calibration system, eg, Color Munki, some of the other top end X-rite or Datacolor products, etc.

3. At the risk of sounding harsh, 99% of the problems with people "going pro" are "the indian, not the arrow". For example, if she hasn't processed a few thousand pix in PS she probably doesn't have enough experience in PS. If she doesn't have a complete set of backups to her photo gear (eg, a minimum of two high end bodies, multiple overlapping lenses, a reciprocal deal with other photographers to sub for her if she gets sick and can't make it to a gig, some well written client contracts, a clear business plan, etc.), she's not ready to go pro. If she's going to start out shooting things like weddings and engagements, she really should second a more experienced photographer for at least a dozen or so weddings before she strikes out on her own.

HTH,

Tom M

Well I feel inept with my question now thanks, na that was really helpful and more honest than I was expecting from an internet chat room these days. She has spent many hours behind a computer screen, 5 or 6 years matter of fact, editing pictures, and to my untrained eye they look pretty good. And recently she has been looking for a new computer monitor to replace the HD TV she has been using, 55 inch massive thing, it has a higher contrast than her regular computer screen, all that. Now I know what monitor we need to invest in. I've been looking around and very few places talk about, in an honest way, what someone starting out has to have. It's all glossed over and any searches bring up posts from, well frankly, blind users leading the blind rookies. I'm trying to become proficient in this end of photography so she doesn't have to worry about it, all she has to do is take the pictures and edit and know that her equipment won’t fail her. It isn't harsh if it is the truth, I teach high school students and sometimes the student may think I am being harsh, when I am just trying to guide them on the right thinking path. So the stuff I asked about is more window dressing than actual necessary equipment? I won’t be insulated I promise if you say, “Yeah you screwed up boy.” And she has her contract drawn up, the thing is 5 or 6 pages, no lie, and it covers so much, and her business plan is drawn up with a lot of help from her photography friends so I think that is good to go as well. Should she have a backup photographer as well in case she is sick? Like I get substitute teachers when I’m unable to make it in for work. I’m sure I sound like an idiot asking all of this but I really need to know and from your post I see you know your stuff. Does she need backdrops as well, what they use in high school yearbooks and what not? I'm taking advantage of your knowledge while I can Tom. You have already helped me a lot.

Ps, are you a mind reader or have just been taking pictures for so long you just know the right and wrong questions that people ask?

A. J.

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for the kind words, AJ. I'm glad they resonated.

I do want to respond to your questions, but I'm still running around doing mindless but necessary things like fixing the sump pump so our basement doesn't flood from the snow melt. I'll get back to the forum later tonight.

Best regards,

Tom M

PS - Yes, FYI, I've been shooting since the 1950's, sold my first picture / first worked semi-pro in the mid 1960's, and been at it ever since then, LOL.

PPS - One question for you: Photography is a BIG field with lots of possible areas of specialization. What does she want to do? Babies, kids, weddings, PJ, seniors, art, studio portraits, jewelry or other small product photography, etc. etc.???

SweetMonia

Aside from the monitor, I really recommend that she gets a graphics tablet, as it makes it much easier to edit pictures as compared to the mouse. It is so accurate, to the degree that many things can be done without the need of using selection tools, and it will provide her with a productivity boost that she will truly appreciate.

There are many great tablets for around $60, but the most important factor is how much the tablet is big relatively to the monitor size, assuming your fiancé will go with the 24" monitor Tom recommended, then getting a medium-sized tablet is the safest way to go, one affordable but a very good medium model I recommend to look at is Ugee M708

http://www.amazon.com/Ugee-M708-Gra...1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427177113&sr=8-1&keywords=ugee

PGalangArt

I second the tablet especially for the long work days. The pen really helps keep the wrist healthy. Also, if you are looking for a mouse, you should consider what environment she'll be working in. A wireless mouse is convenient, but prone to interference from other wireless devices (which is annoying when it happens).

I myself am using a logitech G700 (newer version here: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G700s-910-003584-Rechargeable-Gaming/dp/B00BFOEY3Y/ref=pd_sim_e_3/179-2661912-8649355?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MQ6C4VEY6SWWJSE29SH) )which is a gaming mouse. Expensive but cheaper and more capable than their mice aimed at designers. Has both wireless and true wired mode through provided usb cable (can use even when out of battery and receiver is not working or connected). I haven't experienced any wireless interference since i bought it and battery is a AA rechargeable so it is very easy to replace when it loses its charge unlike most rechargeable mice.