What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with line drawing

Cages2Clouds

Last edited:

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Cages2Clounds
I am not sure of the exact requirements for laser engraving though I am assuming you need a pure black or pure white pixels (I could be off base here)
I am also making a big guess that you care about lines at the edges yet I could be off base on that too.
Here is one approach with my assumptions above
Turn image to Smart Object
Apply High Pass Filter just a few pixels and adjust to taste
Apply Dust and Scratches Filer (this is optional depending on the fine dot detail you want)
Add Threshold adjustment Layer and tune to taste

The left half of one of your images was done with the above to give you idea of what you can get or at least an idea of a path to take as a potential starting point.
Sounds like an interesting project and best wishes
John Wheeler

chain-adj.png

Cages2Clouds

Hi Cages2Clounds
I am not sure of the exact requirements for laser engraving though I am assuming you need a pure black or pure white pixels (I could be off base here)
I am also making a big guess that you care about lines at the edges yet I could be off base on that too.
Here is one approach with my assumptions above
Turn image to Smart Object
Apply High Pass Filter just a few pixels and adjust to taste
Apply Dust and Scratches Filer (this is optional depending on the fine dot detail you want)
Add Threshold adjustment Layer and tune to taste

The left half of one of your images was done with the above to give you idea of what you can get or at least an idea of a path to take as a potential starting point.
Sounds like an interesting project and best wishes
John Wheeler

View attachment 98222
Both assumptions are correct, this is great! If nothing else it can give me the borders so I can fill them in by hand later. Any chance there is a free photo shop software to use that has the methods you mentioned above?

thebestcpu

Guru
Also, note there is a forum for free Photoshop requests. Normal forum practice is to provide advice and maybe examples when help is requested, yet not do the work for the requesting person unless it is in the Free Request forum or the Paid request forum. That is why I only provide half of the image processed so you would need to do the work yourself since you were only asking for assistance (not to have it done for you).

So you might have better success by just posting in one of those other two forums. Just a suggestion.

Cages2Clouds

Also, note there is a forum for free Photoshop requests. Normal forum practice is to provide advice and maybe examples when help is requested, yet not do the work for the requesting person unless it is in the Free Request forum or the Paid request forum. That is why I only provide half of the image processed so you would need to do the work yourself since you were only asking for assistance (not to have it done for you).

So you might have better success by just posting in one of those other two forums. Just a suggestion.

Yes I understand, I wasn't asking anyone to do it for me just for the methods on how to do it. Having no experience in photoshop I have no clue if what I am trying to do is a simple task or not so I didn't want to just ask someone to do it for me with out trying to do all I can myself.