What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with recreating a certain effect.

It is a nice effect maybe on your first duplicate you could go to blending options and add a 0.5 bright pink stroke to it so then you will be able to see the edges clearer if that makes sense and then when it is done you just delete the stroke.

Ah not really looking to define it just yet. The base itself is still wrong. Haha. Anyway, I uploaded the updated psd to mediafire. If anyone would want to take a crack it it, you're most welcome!

test5.psd

I was suggesting that as it is clearer to see the edges and check that it looks more lined up. Not to pernamently keep it in the finished product.

I was suggesting that as it is clearer to see the edges and check that it looks more lined up. Not to pernamently keep it in the finished product.
Ah right, Sorry about that. Still, I'm still more concerned with the profile pictures. They spoil the whole thing really.

You basically make the frame of the dark blue top, white bottom, then the sides between them. You have to make sure any shadows are inside each of the elements. Once you have made the outside of your frame into a rectangle, copy the layer, but place the copy under the first layer, then resize the copy. when you are resizing the copy, make sure you have your finger on shift, but only align the top and bottom. Now using the arrow keys, move it to the side so that the F is under the bigger O of facebook. Then you copy the copy and place that layer under the first copy, so on and so on. As long as the top and bottom are aligned, it doesn't really matter about the sides because the shadows are on the inside of the elements. You can play around!
View attachment 11939

Last edited:
Ok, I played around with this and have a simple solution to the symmetry problem. I uploaded the hacked file. Anyway, I'll try to explain this as easily as I can. Using the move tool, I selected multiple layers and aligned them relative to themselves. For instance, when I wanted to align the Background Copy layer and 1 layer, I selected both of them, activated the Move Tool, and clicked on Align Vertical Centers and then Align Horizontal Centers. Keeping the Background Copy layer and 1 Layer still selected, I then selected 2 Layer by holding down the Shift button and clicking on 2 layer. I repeated the steps with the Move Tool. Now I did this all the way up the Layer Stack until I have what you see here. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• test2Hacked.psd
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • test2Hacked.jpg
    test2Hacked.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 10
Ok, I played around with this and have a simple solution to the symmetry problem..
marra

I have already explained how to do it!

P.S. the frame has to be empty, NOTHING in-between the dark blue top and the white bottom, then the blue sides are in-between them. the white bottom is not inside the light blue sides.

Last edited:
Ok, I played around with this and have a simple solution to the symmetry problem. I uploaded the hacked file. Anyway, I'll try to explain this as easily as I can. Using the move tool, I selected multiple layers and aligned them relative to themselves. For instance, when I wanted to align the Background Copy layer and 1 layer, I selected both of them, activated the Move Tool, and clicked on Align Vertical Centers and then Align Horizontal Centers. Keeping the Background Copy layer and 1 Layer still selected, I then selected 2 Layer by holding down the Shift button and clicking on 2 layer. I repeated the steps with the Move Tool. Now I did this all the way up the Layer Stack until I have what you see here. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies guys. But I still dont understand how to make the profile pics start from behind the original profile picture like how Spruce did it with the first picture he posted. Spruce, I'd really appreciate it if you could edit the psd for me :)

Your .psd is no good. You have an image in your frame. follow the .psd that I have made to get the effect shown!View attachment 11985
View attachment 11986

Thanks for the PSD. I've tried again and again and I dont seem to grasp how it works. I took a screen shot of the top of my facebook page. Could you do a psd for me with that? I'm not lazy really. I just cant get it to look like yours even after hours of trying.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7165/6598559915_d46b5ef9c3_b.jpg

I tried starting from the smallest frame first and moving up slowly but the profile picture still gets overlapped by the layer.

Last edited:
The .psd clearly shows that I started with the biggest frame. You copy the biggest frame and resize it so it fits inside the first one, then put that layer underneath the first frame. I am not going to do it for you, as I have described it very clearly, and given you a .psd with a layer folder showing the four pieces that make a frame. Forget the fricken picture of pulp fiction! Like I have shown you, the frame has to be hollow for this effect to work. If I do it for you, you will not learn. This picture shows my method.
View attachment 11993

Chad mate, you can only lead a horse to water.
P.S. are you a psycho killer by any chance? your hand writing is very scary mate lol.

P.S. are you a psycho killer by any chance? your hand writing is very scary mate lol.

Who knows! I've not killed anyone yet. You don't have to worry all the way in Oz, there's plenty of nutters there.:eek:

I should make it a font.

Back