What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with text please :)

Kitteh

Just recently got Photoshop CS5. (Using Windows 7)

I'm having issues attempting to make my first banner. The banner size that I'm using is 478x100. I've been trying to type in text. When I click to type in the text, the text shows that it was sent through in the layer, but on the actual canvas there's nothing there. The text layer is on top of the background layer by the way. I was wondering if it has to do with the size of the image?

I hope I provided enough detail.

Thank you so much!

Signed,
Confused Kitteh

Hi Kitteh

i don't think the image size has anything to do whit the text that you are trying to create.

When you type the text and if you can see the text layer on top of the other layers as is supposed to be, then you are fine, only thing i will recommend is make sure your text color is not the same as your background color.

Also make sure that the FONT you are using is actually registered on PS, sometimes the reason could be a corrupted font file.

If that doesn't work try resetting your PS Settings to the default configuration, it could be that something went wrong whit your configuration profile, as soon as PS start hit "Crtl + Alt +Shift" PC or "Command + Option + Shift" MAC

Hope this helps.

Thanks S1r & Steve.

I made sure that the color is different from the background and just did the default configuration. I got the font to show up now! But it shows up at like 1296 but even then you can't see. I had to use free transform to make the font show up. I'm just glad that the font is showing up now but was wondering if that's normal?

I got the font to show up now! But it shows up at like 1296 but even then you can't see.

What?

If you want help, then help us out and post responses that make sense.
"It shows up like 1296", what does that mean?

You got the "font to show up" "but "even then you can't see"
Huh, can you see it or not?

Intelligent, detailed, and accurate input from you is more likely to get you answers to your questions than the cryptic responses you've posted so far.

Sorry, I'm a bit computer illiterate and I'm not exactly sure what to say or include sometimes. Basically, what I'm trying to make is a banner (478x100), however, when I try to type text nothing shows on the canvas. However, on the side for layers tab, it shows that text is there. (My color is different from the background when doing this) The font that is in use is supposedly at a size of 1296 (which to me sounds very big), but nothing is showing up on the canvas. So what I have to do is use free transform to make the text bigger, and then it shows up. What I'm trying to ask is if that is normal for the font to be at that size and have to use free transform to make it bigger?

OK, now I understand what you mean.

About the largest text you can get in a 100px tall image is 24 to 30pt, depending on the font.

Reduce your font size to 24pt to start with.
To make it larger or smaller highlight the text and change to font size on the text bar on top.
Transform will work on a text layer but it's not what you want to use just to change text size.

If it is a banner for the web make sure the image is set for 72 ppi resolution. To do this go to image>image size when the dialog box pops up check the check to see if the resolution is set to 72 pixel/inch. If not change the resolution and uncheck the box marked resample image to keep the image the same size. Hope this helps.

Back