What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I draw a wavy line, select a path, and then follow it with text?

HTwebservices

Here's where I'm at. I finally figured out how to draw the little node things and select a path. This is what my rudimentary curved path looks like:

selectionmade.png

However, when I click or hover or do anything with the Text tool in the selection, nothing happens. In the tutorial it said the tool should show a wavy line under it. I can't get it to do that. I am a complete moron.

I managed to adjust my curve by adding and moving nodes. Now it looks like this:

drug anchor points.png

I just can't figure out how to get the text to follow the stinking PATH. I'm sorry for my frustration and I'm sure this is super easy for all of you, but I'm pulling my hair out. This logo is due next week and I'm at my wits' end!

I select the path with the path selection tool, but as soon as I click on the text tool, the path selection disappears. This is maddening!

maddening.png

I feel like I must be missing some simple, but essentially important, step. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Have you tried your text tool again. When the text tool is hovered over the path then the appearance changes to a little curve. All Photoshop versions work this way.

I am going to make a bold suggestion to you right now,as I know you already have Adobe Illustrator in your suite. IMHO handling of paths and the such are vector functions. Ai will interface perfectly with Photoshop. You might just want to experiment with it a bit. Your in a learning mode anyway and you might find that Ai will work better for you creating logos. It is pretty much considered to be the industry standard for that type of work. Just a suggestion and not meant to confuse you.

HTwebservices

Have you tried your text tool again. When the text tool is hovered over the path then the appearance changes to a little curve. All Photoshop versions work this way.

I am going to make a bold suggestion to you right now,as I know you already have Adobe Illustrator in your suite. IMHO handling of paths and the such are vector functions. Ai will interface perfectly with Photoshop. You might just want to experiment with it a bit. Your in a learning mode anyway and you might find that Ai will work better for you creating logos. It is pretty much considered to be the industry standard for that type of work. Just a suggestion and not meant to confuse you.

I have tried the text tool numerous times. I will try this same experiment in Illustrator and see if I have any better luck LOL. Thanks so much for your patience with me!

ALB68

You don't have to SELECT the path. The text tool does it's own thing and sees the path. Try recreating another path with the pen tool and try your text tool with a clean path.
I have tried the text tool numerous times. I will try this same experiment in Illustrator and see if I have any better luck LOL. Thanks so much for your patience with me!

HTwebservices

You don't have to SELECT the path. The text tool does it's own thing and sees the path. Try recreating another path with the pen tool and try your text tool with a clean path.

OK, so in illustrator I have NO TROUBLE getting the text to follow the path that I drew. The problem NOW is, how can I draw a NICE curved path. How do I insert "nodes" that I can adjust in illustrator. I've tried drawing VERY carefully, but I still can't get a completely smooth curve with the pencil tool. Thanks!

Last edited:

ALB68

The pen tool looks the same in Ai , it does a really good job on text etc. There is actually a Text to Path tool in it. Just use your Help to learn usage of a tool etc. I get frustrated myself with PS text and path functions. I say this all the time and some apparently disagree but Photoshop is a bitmap editing program and works great to edit photos etc. Although people use it extensively for the kind of work your doing, I personally prefer Ai for certain things. I sometimes create work in Ai then bring it into PS. PS is wonderful for color and easier to work with than Ai in my opinion.

HTwebservices

The pen tool looks the same in Ai , it does a really good job on text etc. There is actually a Text to Path tool in it. Just use your Help to learn usage of a tool etc. I get frustrated myself with PS text and path functions. I say this all the time and some apparently disagree but Photoshop is a bitmap editing program and works great to edit photos etc. Although people use it extensively for the kind of work your doing, I personally prefer Ai for certain things. I sometimes create work in Ai then bring it into PS. PS is wonderful for color and easier to work with than Ai in my opinion.

I feel like even more of an idiot as I just found the pen tool in AI. LOL. That should work better :)

ALB68

OK. Under the pencil tool..do you have the Smooth tool ? If so, just grab it and sort of trace your curve and watch what happens

OK, so in illustrator I have NO TROUBLE getting the text to follow the path that I drew. The problem NOW is, how can I draw a NICE curved path. How do I insert "nodes" that I can adjust in illustrator. I've tried drawing VERY carefully, but I still can't get a completely smooth curve with the pencil tool. Thanks!

ALB68

What do you mean Tom? Not following you.

I'm sure many of us would like to know how you managed this:

BEFORE this:

Can you enlighten us?

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

I have a later version of Ai and don't know exactly if that tool is in your version. It is located in the Pencil tool flyout in mine. Its a shame your not in a position to upgrade your product.
I can't find a smooth tool anywhere. Here's what my tool palette looks like in Illustrator CS5:

View attachment 50208

Is any of those what you're talking about?

Last edited:

HTwebservices

I'm sure many of us would like to know how you managed this:

BEFORE this:

Can you enlighten us?

Regards.
MrTom.

I simply outlined a curvy line with my pencil tool. Hovered over it with the text tool and started typing. It followed the line perfectly as shown below (albeit my line isn't perfectly curved.

View attachment 50212It was definitely MUCH easier than all of the work I was trying in photoshop. Now I just have to figure out how to smooth out my path/drawn line.

HTwebservices

I have a later version of Ai and don't know exactly if that tool is in your version. It is located in the Pencil tool flyout in mine. Its a shame your not in a position to upgrade your product.

Yeah, I only just got the CS5 Master Suite and that set me back a bit. It will be awhile before I can upgrade.

ALB68

HT, just Google it. Be specific like Smooth Lines in AI CS5 and see what you get. Ai has a learning curve but if you can learn to use both programs together, it will help you with your work.
I simply outlined a curvy line with my pencil tool. Hovered over it with the text tool and started typing. It followed the line perfectly as shown below (albeit my line isn't perfectly curved.

View attachment 50212It was definitely MUCH easier than all of the work I was trying in photoshop. Now I just have to figure out how to smooth out my path/drawn line.

ALB68

You can manipulate the anchor points on your line with the selection tool at the top that is white. Not the black one, the one next to it.

MrToM

Guru
What do you mean Tom? Not following you.
Well, 3 minutes AFTER drawing a path the OP found the Pen tool.

How did they draw the path without knowing where the right tool was until 3 minutes LATER.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Tom,
she did it with the Pencil tool. That was logical to try when she found it.
Well, 3 minutes AFTER drawing a path the OP found the Pen tool.

How did they draw the path without knowing where the right tool was until 3 minutes LATER.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

HT
Look here
smooth.JPG

MrToM

Guru
I simply outlined a curvy line with my pencil tool. Hovered over it with the text tool and started typing.
My apologies.....this thread is moving at such a pace I totally missed this post.

Tom, she did it with the Pencil tool. That was logical to try when she found it.
I'm with ya now!

Thanks Larry, much appreciated.

Regards.
MrTom.