What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I make a soft and gauzy edge for images that will be printed on t-shirts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starbird

Banned
I have an enormous number of images that are going to be printed on tshirts. Some have light backgrounds that create a very hard edge on black shirts. Some have black backgrounds that still show a hard edge on black shirts.

I found something that uses a large round rough brush but requires an extension of white on which to work. That is useless to me since I don't want a white edge around each image and there is no way to separate the image from the white.

I used to use On1 frames which has been discontinued and can no longer locate on any of my drives, nor is it supported at this time. It was perfect for what I need.

I tried the eraser tool and that didn't work. I need it to go from distinct to very indistinct and once again am at a loss. Even On1 no longer has frames near as I can tell.

How do I do this?

I am at a complete loss.

Thank you.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Post two examples, one image that is to be printed with the hard edge and one image that is to be printed with the "gauzy edge".

My suspicion is that you will need to use the Brush Tool. I don't know which brush to suggest until I can see your example.

starbird

Banned
This is one example of the background needing to be removed to eliminate the hard line. Blue front Amazon. Icannot locate where my screen shots are landing or would send you some of the other shots.Because Apple has a screwball who thought putting screenshots ANYWHERE ON THE DESKTOP I can't find the others. I did have a code for terminal (given me by a senior advisor) which created a folder on the desktop, but since I changed the icon of the folder to look like a film strip... I don't have any clue where they are going, but it isn't in that screenshot folder any longer.

Does the angst ever stop to allow work to happen? I added an image that needs a dropout but don't even know if that will show up... since I included it in the first post.

I just discovered it's not going to show up. I use the icon, selected from the computer and it's not going to be here.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I will try and make a guess.

The first thing I do is add a layer below the image layer filled with white to serve as a background.

Here is a photo of a Blue Fronted Parrot that I want to place on a t-shirt.
I place this image layer on top of the white background layer.
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 12.07.11 AM.png

I don't like the hard edges and want to add gauzy feathered edge.

I add a layer mask to the image layer.
I then use the Brush Tool with a grunge brush with shape dynamics activated.

I then just brush out the edges while holding the shift key.
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 12.07.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 12.09.19 AM.png

When I'm satisfied, save the PSD.

Turn off the white background layer.
Then "save as" PNG or whatever file format that supports transparency.

Status
Not open for further replies.