What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to achieve pen drawing effect?

p.com123

itchenbridge2.jpgs-l1600.jpg
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone had any idea how to achieve this effect used on the book, transforming the picture into a black/orange drawing as above. I am looking to replicate this style and colour scheme on some photos I have taken.

JeffK

Guru
Played with this a bit and came up with a slightly different interpretation with more of a realistic effect.
First I turned the image into a smart object. Then used a Black and White adjustment layer.
Then went to Filter-Filter Gallery-Sketch-Graphic Pen.
Set the Stroke Length to 9 and the Light/Dark Balance to 57. You can play with those to your liking. Also Stroke Direction to Right Diagonal.
Then on my Layers Panel, I created a solid color fill layer underneath the illustration to give it that orange background.
*The orange in your image may be just a black and white illustration printed on orange cover paper.
Applied a mask to the image and, using a brush tool with a low opacity, began brushing out the parts I didn't want.
Hope this makes sense, Images and layers panel below.
- Jeff

bridge with no background.jpg

bridge with background.jpg
bridge layers panel.JPG