What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to check that the brightest whites are 240, and blacks 30??

monicaDyer

I am doing a product shot, and the company's spec sheet advises that the brightest (or maybe lightest??) whites be 240, and the blacks around 30. I think this has something to do with levels, and not having blown-out whites or clipped blacks, but how do I check that those are the levels in my final proofs? Thanks so much for your help.

Hmm...are you sure these are correct numbers? For me ussually "they" gives maximal allowed ink amount of CMYK. Like C+M+Y+K not bigger that 300 or 250.
So i'm confussed a little. Is that RGB? Like (240,240,240)?

Anyway i was finding easy way to do find darkest point in image and nothing find out.
Everybody kept telling to use ThresHold (which i find not so confortable).

Indesign have very usefull panel Outpu/Separation Preview. There can input max Ink amount and what is bigger shows "red" (what fits shows grey).
You may put about 280 thats apoximatly 240 of RGB. If image have reds dot, then those are out yours "range".

About white have nothing, maybe just put 10 in that Separation then if something isn't red then its less than 30 of RGB

That would be RGB ...

I suggest using the info pallette. Look for the blackest blacks and brightest whites.... As you move the mouse pointer across your image , info will show you the color values.

250.jpg

30.jpg

Hope this helps....

Last edited:
I forgot to mention...... the values should show all 250 or 30 in the RGB info.....

You can also check the values while editing with LEVELS or other controls....

Levels.jpg

Last edited:
In that case my advice will not work...255,0,0 will left behind but dv8_fx's can work. What i don't like is that all depends on "eye".

In that case my advice will not work...255,0,0 will left behind but dv8_fx's can work. What i don't like is that all depends on "eye".

"EYE" ?? Well.... in this line of work and carreer, we have to rely on our eyes a lot..... quite straining and at hte end of the day, I've got headaches.

Back