What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create this text effect?

Hi @alborghetti

This can work with most any Font.

Type the text you want.
Use a stroke in the Layer Style with White, a small number of pixel width for the stroke
Then in the Layer Panel, take the Fill Slider to 0%. This makes the text transparent yet keeps the Layer Style.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

Just-outline-of-Text.jpg

This can work with most any Font.
Type the text you want.
Use a stroke in the Layer Style with White, a small number of pixel width for the stroke
Then in the Layer Panel, take the Fill Slider to 0%. This makes the text transparent yet keeps the Layer Style.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler
Awesome tip, John! :bowdown:

Awesome tip, John! :bowdown:
Out of absolute curiosity, I genuinely want to ask you Jeff, had you really not ever heard of this technique that John described above?

This is not the earliest time I used this technique, but this little image was the oldest I could find (for now) using the technique back in 2012. The only difference is that in addition to the white stroke, I also added a color overlay in the layer style, probably on a multiply blend mode and reduced opacity.
MakaelaName_02.jpg

I have also described the technique several times here on the forum..................one of which I felt was fairly recent. I have not found it yet but I haven't looked that hard.

Out of absolute curiosity, I genuinely want to ask you Jeff, had you really not ever heard of this technique that John described above?

This is not the earliest time I used this technique, but this little image was the oldest I could find (for now) using the technique back in 2012. The only difference is that in addition to the white stroke, I also added a color overlay in the layer style, probably on a multiply blend mode and reduced opacity.

I have also described the technique several times here on the forum..................one of which I felt was fairly recent. I have not found it yet but I haven't looked that hard.

Nothing but honesty here...I've never used that technique and have rarely used the fill function on the layers panel at all. So to me it was quite the revelation. :)

I don't use type that much and it's probably why your earlier posts may not have stuck in my head. Back in 2012 I was still doing account management in print and spent most of my time receiving files rather than creating them.

If you do find your earlier posts, would love to see, or even reread, them. I'm still just a Photoshop innocent...:cheesygrin:

- Jeff

Nothing but honesty here...I've never used that technique and have rarely used the fill function on the layers panel at all. So to me it was quite the revelation.
Thanks for the response! Absolutely nothing to be disconcerted about, I was honestly surprised by your response! I guess I assume that most everyone has played with the fill and opacity functions of a layer or layer style from day one.

I don't use type that much and it's probably why your earlier posts may not have stuck in my head.
This technique can be used on any shape! It's not limited to type. In fact, I use it as much on shapes as I do type........though type may be involved. One example is when a client sends me a rastorized shape and wants it outlined and see through.

Before
Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.58.19 AM.png
After
Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 10.02.51 AM.png

If you do find your earlier posts, would love to see, or even reread, them.
I will try to find them if I can...................I have made a few posts! LOL!!

I'm still just a Photoshop innocent...
I guess I also forget this as well! :thumbsup:

Here's the tutorial I just recently made using this exact technique in post #2.

Back