What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to do these color effects? (Often used on tumblr)

freakflag

I found some wonderful pictures on tumblr. I love those color effects, but I don't know how to create them in Photoshop.

1. Something like this. I don't know how to call it, maybe gradient coloring?

2. This effect. You have screencaps from many different scenes, but color them all in the same way. In this case "warm" colors. You know what I mean? :cheesygrin:

3. Then I want to know how to color different pictures (primarily screencaps) in different tinges. Like here, here and here. Unfortunately I couldn't find one of the graphics that look exactly the way I had in mind.
These are a bit too extreme, but still ...: One, two, three.

I would be very happy if someone could explain how I can do these effects with Photoshop. But I have to say that I'm a complete newbie, so everything has to be explained step for step.
It would be the best if someone could utilize the effects in Photoshop and could upload the file for me so I can comprehend everything step for step. ;)

Thank you!

Last edited:
Although I am just guessing about some of the techniques -- and some look like a number of techniques and steps used together -- I'd say color overlays like Hoogle said, selections with hue/sat adjustments, composites of several different things, maybe even some drastic use of levels adjustments bringing the white way down and the black up to increase contrast and color. Also, I'm wondering if there's a toning style like sepia tone that is applied to the atmospheric gold-toned shots, but again ... color overlays?

For example, the ones with Hermione seem fairly straightforward. She is selected out and the background is treated with color overlays or hue/saturation adjustments or something of the sort. On one of the castle/school pics, it looks like maybe a filter was used to simplify/create artistic effect the sky and water, or again, just a colorize hue/sat. On the Glee pics, I think it's like Hoogle said, color overlays. Could also be the hue/sat. But wherever the foreground figure is not colorized, I imagine that is a selection.

Lots of layer effects, filters, and styles to play around with in Photoshop.

Back